Monday, June 24, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 91 - "Speak Life"


Psalm 91 encourages me in so many ways. This morning as I was reading it God stopped me at verse eight. It reads, You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. I had to think about this verse a little bit. He is talking about those who live in His protective cover will see judgment upon those who choose the ways of the evil one. Charles Spurgeon wrote, "The sight of God's judgments softens the heart, excites a solemn awe, creates gratitude, and so stirs up the deepest kind of adoration." We must keep our eyes open at all time to see what God has for us. This will include lessons we can learn from others...both right and wrong ones. It will also include us realizing the importance of staying aligned with God's will for our life. Spurgeon refers to God as a "moral ruler over the sons of men, who sooner or later rewards the ungodly with due punishment." There are many people in this world who do not want anyone ruling over them. Some have a chip on their shoulder about someone being in that position. I am grateful for God being the One to rule over my life. This knowledge gives me strength. It gives me a reason to live. It gives me peace in the midst of the storms of life. It empowers me to not be fearful but instead to stand firm in my faith as I walk the road of obedience to Him. As I ponder upon God being a "moral ruler" I get the picture of a ruler with twelve inches on it. The end where it begins represents when we accept Jesus into our hearts. The other end where it ends represents when our earthly bodies are glorified with Christ. We have the choice to make on where we are in between those two numbers. He gives us free choice. We can stay at the measurement of salvation or we can move up to being sanctified and eventually glorified. Throughout life we may find that we slip down on where we are measured but God never turns His back on us. Instead He encourages us to move forward. One way to do this is to keep our ears open to His Voice. The only way this can happen is to stay in relationship with Him. The times we slip are times we go off on our own and do not walk in obedience to Him. They are times that seem so innocent yet can be so deadly. When we start allowing the enemy to guide us instead of God, we will no longer have the privilege to live in His presence. That does not mean we can't get back into such living because God gives us grace to do so. But it takes keeping our eyes on Him. We must stay focused on Him to live fully in Him. It hurts my heart to see people struggling. I just want to 'fix' things. But if God does not direct me to do something I cannot do it. If I am not given His blessing on what I do, it is not of Him. Sometimes that means watching people struggle over and over. The 'fix' is Christ being in the center of their life. Just as a drug addict can't wait for their next 'fix' a follower of Christ needs to have the same attitude. I know I can't start my day without being in His Word and talking with Him. I guess I can say He is my 'Fix' in life. That is a good Addiction to have and one that will bring me life and not death! It is with great joy to hear people testify on how He is working in their life. It seems like testimonies are not heard often but they need to be. Instead of all the 'bad' stuff of life, we need to talk about the 'good' stuff He brings into our lives. We need to speak words of life and not death. The enemy cannot be everywhere but when he is in the position to hear words of death, he will use them against us. This morning I have the lyrics to a song Toby Mac sings going through my mind...

So speak life, speak life.
To the deadest darkest night.
Speak life, speak life.
When the sun won't shine and you don't know why.
Look into the eyes of the broken-hearted;
Watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope,
You speak love, you speak...
You speak life, you speak life.

Yes! We must speak life not only for ourselves but for all around us. As I think about Psalm 91:8, I think about how His words given through me can save people from the punishment of hell. That is a pretty powerful thought. His words through me can make the difference of people going to heaven or to hell. Wow! I need to get better at this. I need to listen closer to Him so I can be speaking more for Him. I was thinking about how much easier it is to preach a sermon, write a blog, etc. than it is to go up to someone the Lord tells me to share Him with. I need to speak more often to people He puts before me so it becomes easier. I know door-knocking, handing out tracts at the park, etc. is not the best way to share God. I also know the best way to share Him is by taking the opportunity when He presents it. I must get better at doing this. All who say they live for Him must get better at it. The more He is shared, the less evilness will be prevalent in our world. That is the answer. Sharing God with others when He prompts and in the manner He desires. Woo hoo! Having open eyes and ears and most of all an open heart to living a life of obedience. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the revelation You gave me through one little verse of Psalm 91 today. Thank You for loving me so greatly that You do not throw me aside if I miss an opportunity You put before me but instead forgive me and give me another chance. Thank You for cleansing me this morning so You can fill me with more of You. Thank You for the opportunities You will put before me today to show Your love to others. Lord, may You be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. May people see/hear You ooze out of me in a different, new  way. Father, I pray for Doc to be encouraged today to continue this hard road he is on. May You bless Him extra today. May You heal Him sooner than later. Father, thank You for the weekend of rest for me. Thank You for all who encouraged us over the last few days. Doc having the strength to preach; Rhonda and Nora with food; Thompson's who took us out for dinner, prayed with us, and spoke words of encouragement over us; and Joshua who took our trash to the dump. You encourage us in so many ways and for that we are grateful. Lord, this morning I am praying for: those who do not know You to come into relationship with You; those who are in relationship with You yet are floundering back and forth between allowing You total control and themselves to be control; and those who are seeking You to be in control of all they say and do. Father, keep my focus on You today so I can take every opportunity You present to me to be You to others. Thank You for being My Addiction! Amen.

No comments: