Sunday, June 23, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 91 - "Healer"


Last night I was at a friend's house who had four dogs. I had all one on each side of me during the storm, one on the back of the couch at my neck, and the fourth one laying at my feet. The thunder, lightning and heavy rain scared them and they sought me for protection. I kept telling them there was nothing to be afraid of, I was there and would keep them safe. This made me think about how my Heavenly Daddy is there for me during the storms of life. I cling to Him for safety. At one time, one doggy buried himself under the blanket on the couch so his eyes were covered. Sometimes I do something similar. I go to bed and close my eyes to forget the storm around me. During the night God woke me once to pray for pastors. He had me pray specifically for those going through storms to lean into Him and not give up. He had me pray for them to not be afraid of what was happening nor the end result because He was protecting them.
  • Doc who is going through the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.
  • Steve with his wife's cancer worsening.
  • A pastor friend who has battled cancer for a few years.
  • A pastor who is not currently in the pulpit and seeking God's will.
  • Tony who isn't in a storm but is in transition between churches.
  • A pastor who will be combining two congregations.
  • Greg who is in the first month of combining two congregations as he continues to transition.
  • Pastors who are looking to move from one church to another.
  • Pastors who are seeking their first church.
  • Pastors who are dealing with the loss of people in their congregations and feeling the financial decline from such losses.
  • Pastors who have been given a vision from God that the congregation is fighting against.
There are so many situations in the life of a pastor that many people have no clue about. There are a lot of people that think about what they are going to do today or perhaps the coming week. Pastors need to be thinking and praying about not only the day or week ahead but the year ahead. It is only a little over six months until Christmas. Many pastors have already been praying and planning for what God has planned for it. There are many who have a three-year plan for their church. It is not their plan but it is the Lord's plan. They must be flexible and not get ahead of God but instead allow Him to direct it as it plays out. It is an exciting life to lead when you depend upon God. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to live such a life comes by trusting Him. He will lead and direct you as You walk in His will. That means not doing what man desires but instead doing what God desires. Sometimes that does not make sense but the outcome is perfect when it is His will. The first thirteen verses of Psalm 91 shows how God protects us when we live such a life.

You who sit down in the High God’s presence,
    spend the night in Shaddai’s shadow,
Say this: “God, you’re my refuge.
    I trust in you and I’m safe!”
That’s right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
    shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
    under them you’re perfectly safe;
    his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
    not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
    not disaster that erupts at high noon.
Even though others succumb all around,
    drop like flies right and left,
    no harm will even graze you.
You’ll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
    watch the wicked turn into corpses.
Yes, because God’s your refuge,
    the High God your very own home,
Evil can’t get close to you,
    harm can’t get through the door.
He ordered his angels
    to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they’ll catch you;
    their job is to keep you from falling.
You’ll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
    and kick young lions and serpents from the path.

We have nothing to fear when we live a life sold out to Him. We do not have to worry about finances, health issues, family issues, church issues, etc. All we have to do is lean into Him and receive His strength and wisdom. Woo hoo! He is our Protector from not only the ways of the evil one but from ourselves. There are times we forget to lean into Him or we don't take the time to spend time with Him yet He is there to guard us no matter what. The 'deadly hazards' spoken of in this passage can be people, circumstances, etc. But He is there to shield us. When we stay in His arms, we are 'perfectly safe' from all harm. That does not mean it won't come into our life. It means we can stand in His strength through such circumstances. This weekend has been a time of physical rest. I feel so much stronger emotionally and spiritually because of the rest I have received. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, God is going to heal Doc while he is on this earth. I know He is going to empower him to get through the tough days ahead until that healing happens. That knowledge is enough to get me through the tough days too. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being the One to empower me to stand against all that comes against me! Thank You for being my Shelter in the times of storms of life. Father, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to be who You have called me to be. I pray for You to be greater than me. I pray for people to see/hear You instead of me throughout this day. Lord, I pray for all pastors to have the same desire in their heart. I pray for Doc to have Your strength today as he preaches. I pray for Steve who is carrying such a heavy burden for Peggy to have your supernatural strength as he preaches. I pray for a continuation of strength in my pastor friend with cancer and one who is currently between churches. I pray for Tony who is in transition; one combining two congregations; Greg who has combined two congregations; those seeking their first church; those with losses of people which means loss of income in their church; and those You've given a vision that the people will not embrace. May all of these men and women feel Your supernatural empowerment today. Father, thank You for the privilege to pray for pastors. Thank You for being the healing balm on their hurts. Thank You for being My Healer. Amen.

No comments: