Sunday, January 14, 2018

Romans 8:28 - "For The Sake of the Call"



The Lord woke me up at 1:30 to pray for pastors who are filling the pulpit for others today. I know there are many since this is the weekend of the Ministry Retreat here in South Carolina. He had me pray for those who were feeling a little apprehensive over it and those who were feeling very apprehensive. He had me pray for those who were doing it for the first time. He also had me pray for pastors who left retreat early because they felt like they had to be in the pulpit themselves. Some people think being a pastor is easy. Many think being a pastor involves just preaching on Sunday and doing a funeral or wedding now and then. Many do not realize what all a pastor has on their plate nor the hours put into the ministry. I have taken on a deeper respect for bi-vocational pastors since Doc is now one. There are no 'days off' since he is bi-vacational. He has vacation time from the church but only just recently received a few days from his regular job. Being bi-vocational means needing to use those 'vacation' days to attend ministry events instead of using them for a true vacation. Working Monday through Friday at his job and Saturday and Sunday for ministry leaves no regular day off. There has to be creativity to carve out time off. A few hours in an afternoon/evening are one way that can be accomplished. But even then if there is an emergency that doesn't happen. Men and women who are pastoring, finishing up school, and working a secular job have to be very careful to carve out 'down' time. There has to be a time of rest, renewal, and a time with family or one will crash. God did not create anyone to go full steam ahead twenty-four/seven without filling their tank. First, there must be daily time with the Lord. Second, there must be time with family. Third, there must be wisdom on what to put on the calendar. Fourth, there must be boundaries set in relationships. When one is plugged into God, they will be able to accomplish these things in a way that will make it easier than if not. They also will not be frazzled but instead be at peace with life. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for waking me to pray for those filling in preaching today. Thank You for being close to them and encouraging them. Oh how I pray for them to realize You are their strength, there is nothing to be fearful of. I pray against the enemy giving doubt or using people to cause them to feel like they have failed when they are done. Lord, I pray for people of encouragement to surround them. Father, I also pray for pastors at retreat to be renewed and refreshed from this weekend. I pray for pastors who are feeling disheartened to be given words of hope. I pray for those who are drained to be filled. Lord, I also pray for the pastor and wife who are on a mission trip to be blessed in abundance. I pray for my pastor friend in Ohio who is recuperating from knee replacement surgery to have Your strength in every aspect of his life. Father, I pray for pastors who are going through difficult times in their church to realize it is only in Your power they will come out victorious. Lord, I pray for my husband who works so hard in his new role as a bi-vocational pastor. I pray for open doors for him to share the Gospel in his workplace. I also pray for open doors with the building project. Lord, I ask for a cleansing in my spirit so I can be filled with more of You. I pray You will give me greater insight into how I can lighten Doc's load. I also pray for a continued encouragement as I work on school. Open my mind up to all You have in store for me to learn. Thank You Jesus for being The One To Call Me. Amen.

No comments: