Sunday, January 28, 2018

I John 1:5-7 - "Great Are You Lord"

My prayers during the night were for pastors. Specifically He had me pray for those filling the pulpit this morning including myself. He had me pray for those who fill the pulpit regularly as they preach for revivals, prayer conferences, etc. Chad and Brooke, Michael Adams, and Dan Bohi's Team were ones specifically that came to my mind. He then told me to read I John 1. Verses five through ten go right along with what I had wrote my sermon on. Right before going to sleep I questioned if I wrote my sermon on something I desired or if I had listened to Him. When He woke me in the middle of the night with this Scripture, I knew this is the Scripture He desired me to preach on. Wow, God! 



We live in a dark world where Jesus is needed in a desperate way. We see or hear of murders, suicides, child abuse and/or abandonment, etc. every time we open the paper or turn on the news. It can be depressing yet we have the answer to share. Unfortunately, the message of Jesus is not being shared by many. There are too many believers who are happy with going to church once or twice a week and living for themselves otherwise. They may open their mouth every once in awhile to say "have a blessed day" or "amen" but that is where they stop. That is not what God put us on this earth to do. He did not create us to live for ourselves but instead created us to live for Him. Matthew Henry wrote, "To walk in darkness, is to live and act against religion." If you were to ask a believer if they walk in darkness, their answer would be no. Isn't it walking in darkness when one does not live out Matthew 22:36-40?

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Isn't it walking in darkness when one does not live out I Peter 1:16: "Be holy, for I am holy."? I believe it is. These are words from the Lord. These words are how He desires all to live. If one stays in their little world holding onto their 'stuff'...their checkbooks...their calendars ...their families, they are not living as God desires. There is no way one can be in full fellowship with the Lord when living in the darkness. Light and darkness cannot exist in the same place. There are many today claiming to walk in the Light yet are showing no fruit. There are many who were raised in the church and think they are OK but I fear there will be many on Judgement Day who will be surprised. The church, the believers, need to stand up and be the Light to this dark world. The only way for that to happen is for hearts to be checked and cleansed of the ways of the world and allow God to do what He created for us to be.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for speaking to me! Thank You for giving me an open heart to what You desire! Thank You for putting me on the path of obedience to Your will and way. Lord, I pray once again for all pastors but especially those filling the pulpit today. I pray they will be open to whatever You have in store for them. I pray for myself as You have changed my sermon. May Your Holy Spirit come down upon me so You will be heard through the words spoken today. I pray for open ears and hearts throughout this world today for all who hear a message. Father, be with the Smith Family this morning as the machine is removed from their dear loved one. Be their comfort and their strength. Lord, I pray continued prayers for those who with the flu bug and Little Layna who had her appendix out. I also pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Thank You Jesus for being My Light. Amen.

No comments: