Tuesday, January 23, 2018

James 1:2-3 - "Healer"



I love when the Lord lets me know of answers to prayers. I have been praying for Chris for many years for sobriety and spiritual needs. Sunday when his wife put an urgent prayer request on Facebook my first thought was he had fallen. The Lord gave me the sense that was not what was going on. I prayed for them over the next few hours. Yesterday I received this message from Chris...

Barbie, Shiloh and I went for a ride down the back roads down in Holmes County yesterday. We were going down a road we've been down many times before with no problems in our All Wheel Drive Subaru Outback. Except since the last time we were there it had rained a lot and the road was washed out and there were lots of ruts. It is a single lane dirt road going up a hill. I had to back up to an area that I could turn around in. As I was maneuvering the car, I was trying to avoid a deep rut. I underestimated how close I was to it and my front wheels dropped down into it and the frame of the car rested on the ground. We were stuck. Wouldn't go backwards or forwards. I got the jack out of the car to raise it up and put some rocks under the tires. Everything was going great until the jack broke and the car dropped back down. Being in the middle of nowhere, I had no idea who to call for help. I had Barbie lock the doors and I headed back to the main road walking to see if I could find help. Even the main road was dirt and not well traveled, my outlook was dim. I got to the road and about 5 minutes goes by and a guy in a four wheel drive Jeep comes down the road. I flagged him down. He stopped, I introduced myself and told him our situation. He said he would drive to a friend's house and get a chain to pull us out. He came back about a half hour later. It took about 15 minutes to get the Outback out of the rut. I gave the guy some money, told him "God Bless You" and thanked him. The whole time I was walking down the road I was praying for the situation to be resolved. Barbie was praying back at the car at the same time. She also sent out the Facebook prayer request and I know people we're praying along with us. When I prayed, I didn't pray selfishly. I asked God to help us out of the situation safely. I asked him to please do it for Barbie and Shiloh and not for me. This was an out loud prayer not just a quiet silent in my head prayer. The power of prayer is enormous! The incident that happened yesterday got me thinking. I realize that my prayer life has been lacking lately and need to put my focus back on it. I need to not just reach out to him in times of trouble but also in times of rejoice and when life is just being mediocre. So much has changed since I got sober back in 2015. My life is not all peaches and cream but I know how to deal with things now that would have been handled completely different had I been drinking. Please feel free to share any or all of this story to anybody you want who needs to see what the power of prayer can do!

This is what happens when people pray. The prayers I sent up on their behalf Sunday were not the only ones answered. The ones I have been praying for Chris to grow stronger in his faith over the last years were also answered. I love how God used a trying incident to open his eyes. That is what God does for all of us. He uses tough situations to make us see we need to allow Him control of our entire being. It is then, and only then, He will be able to be glorified through us. Tears stream as I think about the answers to prayers for this family. I am so blessed in knowing God not only hears our prayers but He answers them.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with the celebration of my Momma's birthday. Thank You for giving me the testimony from Chris. Thank You for being with me in times of pain last night. Father, You bless me in abundance over and over again. Lord, I pray today You will bless me with freedom from pain. I pray for my friend Norma who will have treatments today. I pray her body will be renewed through the medication. I pray for many who are suffering from the flu. I pray for little Amelia who is so sick with it. I pray for ones who have colds and pneumonia or bronchitis to have deep breathes. I also pray for Beth who had to be put back on the vent yesterday and her family as they continue on this road. Father, I don't know the condition of the lady ran over by the car yesterday but I pray for her and the driver. Lord, cleanse my spirit of anything not of You so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Thank You Jesus for being The One Who Answers My Prayers. Amen.


No comments: