Thursday, December 30, 2021

Psalm 88; II Timothy 1:7 - "You Know My Name"

 


The Lord woke me in the night and told me to read Psalm 88. I asked Him if I needed to get up and read it then and He told me to read it this morning. I read it in different translations and settled in with The Passion Translation. I stopped at verse thirteen and thanked God for my relationship with Him. I thanked Him for encouraging me to not only hear what He says but walk in obedience to His will for my life. I thanked Him for the knowledge that He hears every prayer I speak, think, cry, etc. This Psalm is one of lament and I know I have felt like lamenting a lot of late. I also know I have sought His comfort and received it through these 'tough' days. But what about all of the people who have never asked Him into their heart? What about the people who were in relationship with Him at one point in life only to walk away from Him? What about the people whose hurt is so deep they have chosen to allow the enemy to put lies upon them instead of allowing God to put life in them? These are the questions that come to my mind as I read Psalm 88. We all have a choice to make when 'tough' days come before us. We can push in deeper in our faith or we can pull away from God. I have heard many say things like, "Where was God when my loved one was dying?...Why did my loved one die?...Why would God put me through this pain?...Why were my prayers not answered?" We may never know the answers to most of these questions BUT we can know the answer to the last one. Our prayers are always answered. God's answer may not be the one we desire or in the timing we desire but He always answers our prayers. Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm:

The psalmist resolved to continue in prayer, and the more so, because deliverance did not come speedily. Though our prayers are not soon answered, yet we must not give over praying. The greater our troubles, the more earnest and serious we should be in prayer. Nothing grieves a child of God so much as losing sight of him; nor is there any thing he so much dreads as God's casting off his soul. If the sun be clouded, that darkens the earth; but if the sun should leave the earth, what a dungeon would it be! Even those designed for God's favours, may for a time suffer his terrors. See how deep those terrors wounded the psalmist. If friends are put far from us by providences, or death, we have reason to look upon it as affliction.  

God knows the hurts of our heart and He will use them to deepen our faith as we allow Him. Even in my grief I know He is with me. When the ugly tears fell yesterday, He was with me. As each memory comes into my mind He is with me. Praise His Holy Name! He is with me. He is with all of us as we allow Him. When the enemy tries to put fear upon us, He is there to remind of Paul's words in II Timothy 1:7. He does not give us a spirit of fear. He gives us a spirit of power, love, and self-control. Fear comes from the enemy not God. Empowerment to love with His love no matter what is happening in our little world comes from God. The enemy tries to tell us God cannot use us through 'tough' days but God promises us He can and will. Some translations of this verse read sound mind instead of self-control. It means God gives us the ability to have better understanding and make better decisions. I love the part of this verse that many pass over. It says He gives us the spirit of these things. That means He empowers us to not be fearful. He empowers us to be empowered to live as He desires. Woo hoo! Praise His Holy Name! I have said and heard it many times. I do not know how people get through 'tough' days without the Lord. The hurt I feel from the loss of Rickey is so great but my God is greater! I was thinking yesterday about what life is going to be like when I go back home. Life is so different without him in my life. I am once again 'alone' even though God is always with me and I have people who love me. But I no longer have a special someone to share my thoughts, dreams, hurts, etc. Praise God He will help me once again to adjust. I am encouraged this morning by a song Tasha Leonard sings called "You Know My Name"...

No fire can burn me
No battle can turn me
No mountain can stop me
'Cause You hold my hand
Now I'm walking in Your victory
'Cause Your power is within me
No giant can defeat me
'Cause You hold my hand

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the opportunities You put before me yesterday to love with Your love! Thank You for visits with: Tom, Steph, and the kids; Sally; Kim; Donna; Rickey's sister Vickey; and Mary! Thank You for each tear that fell yesterday! I know every one is part of my healing. Thank You for continuing to be with Matthew and Sheri as they recuperate from surgery! I am so excited to be with Anna, Michael, and Matthew and their families tonight. You have blessed me in abundance with this addition to my family. May You continue to be with all of us as we grieve. Thank You for Kim's iPad working for me for Sunday service! I pray Your blessings as I use it. Lord, be with all going through 'tough' days. May they feel Your empowerment. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Tony and Madeline; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Carrie; Little Jensen who needs a heart; many with COVID; Sharon Sebolt; the Pottenger Family; Serena's husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Cyndi; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c'...Doug and Gay; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousin; George and Sharon; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Elaine Stoltzfus; Tammie; and Little Ivy. Father, I also pray for a friend who is undergoing testing for possible mesothelioma. Lord, be so real to her in these days. I pray the same for a friend separated from her family after a recent loss of a loved one. May she feel Your presence in these days of separation. I ask You to wrap Your loving arms around families who had recent losses. Bill, Ashley, Polings, and Jennifer's co-worker. Praise Your Holy Name for Daniel's pneumonia being gone! Lord, thank You for the physical strength You provided yesterday! Thank You for being My Victory! Amen. 

No comments: