Thursday, August 27, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Matthew 6:25-34 - "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"

 


In our Bible Study last night we discussed Matthew 6:25-34. It reads in the New International Version:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

This section is entitled "Do Not Worry" and are the words of Jesus. He is trying to get us to realize we do not need to worry or fret but instead need to trust Him to provide for us. As I think back over my childhood I have many memories of Him providing for us through others. In times of tragedy such as when my sister was murdered many people provided food, Christmas gifts, etc. for my family. I remember one time my Daddy was off work for many months for one of his many surgeries and was working at the school. The cafeteria workers, maintenance/ custodians, etc. gave up their accumulated hours so my family would not have to go without a paycheck. My memory bank is full of times God provided when times were bleak. I will never forget when Doc and Adam planned to go to Israel for Adam's graduation trip and we were short on funds. One day Doc went to the mailbox and there was a cashier check for $1000 for the trip. Just last month we had an unexpected HVAC repair that we received the money from friends BEFORE it even happened. I can say that I believe God provides because I have seen Him in practice. Does this mean I never worry? Of course not because I am human. What it does mean is that I trust Him and I do not manipulate circumstances to make things happen. It also means I know the difference between my wants and my needs. The last part of this Scripture is described by Matthew Henry in this way:

The conclusion of the whole matter is, that it is the will and command of the Lord Jesus, that by daily prayers we may get strength to bear us up under our daily troubles, and to arm us against the temptations that attend them, and then let none of these things move us. Happy are those who take the Lord for their God, and make full proof of it by trusting themselves wholly to his wise disposal. Let thy Spirit convince us of sin in the want of this disposition, and take away the worldliness of our hearts.

This is the way I desire to live every day. I trust Him. I allow Him to guide me as I pray and listen to Him. I strive to walk the road of obedience to His will. As I live this way of life my faith goes deeper and I know I do not need to worry about today or tomorrow. He is in control.

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for our study last night! Thank You for the way You speak through Your Word! Thank You for being with us through another 'tough' day and night with Doc's health! Lord, I pray for healing in his body. If that healing is not to happen on this earth, I pray for Your love and mercy to surround us. Thank You for Doug Piatt, David Kilgore, and Matthew's Mother who received great news from their cancer testing! I praise You for being their Great Physician. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You shine brightly through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. I pray for Your supernatural strength as my physical body is so tired from yesterday and last night. I pray for Doc's oncologist appointment and last radiation treatment to go well. Lord, we need You to be so real to us in these trying days. We pray for You to pour out II Timothy 1:7 over us. Lord, I pray for those dealing with natural disasters this week to feel Your presence. I pray they will be loved on by those that love with Your love. Thank You for providing for their needs! Thank You Jesus for being Our Today and Tomorrow! Amen.

No comments: