Sunday, June 7, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 91 - "Hills and Valleys"


Saturday night...prayers for pastors...one of my favorite times of the week. Last night the Lord had me pray twice during the night for pastors and their families. The first time He had me pray for pastors to live in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit so the messages they give are what He desires. He had me pray for them to not just live in this way when it came to preparing and presenting sermons but 24/7 so He can use them effectively to build the Kingdom. The second time was for male pastors to be the spiritual leader of their home. He also had me pray for female pastors to realize their husband needs to be the spiritual leader in their home. He had me pray specifically for pastors going through 'rough' times with their children, especially for those with prodigals. I prayed for my pastor/husband to be touched by God in his physical, mental, emotional, financial, and especially his spiritual being. I prayed for this new medicine to work so he can eat solids without pain and for his body to adjust to it quickly. It was so good to see him accomplish a small drywall patch job yesterday at the church building. It wore him out but he was happy being able to accomplish it. This morning God took me to Psalm 91 and I thought about how this Psalm was written so many years ago yet still holds meaning to us today, especially with what we have experienced in 2020. We do not have to fear the coronavirus, riots, cancer, loss of jobs, etc. All we have to do is trust God. The more we trust Him, the deeper our faith will go. I strive to stand in the empowerment of His love and the Holy Spirit every day as Paul wrote about in II Timothy 1:7. I also strive to live out Psalm 91. Matthew Henry wrote about this Psalm:

He that by faith chooses God for his protector, shall find all in him that he needs or can desire. And those who have found the comfort of making the Lord their refuge, cannot but desire that others may do so. The spiritual life is protected by Divine grace from the temptations of Satan, which are as the snares of the fowler, and from the contagion of sin, which is a noisome pestilence. Great security is promised to believers in the midst of danger. Wisdom shall keep them from being afraid without cause, and faith shall keep them from being unduly afraid. Whatever is done, our heavenly Father's will is done; and we have no reason to fear. God's people shall see, not only God's promises fulfilled, but his threatenings. Then let sinners come unto the Lord upon his mercy-seat, through the Redeemer's name; and encourage others to trust in him also.

The last three verses of Psalm 91 in The Passion Translation read:

For here is what the Lord has spoken to me:
“Because you have delighted in me as my great lover,
I will greatly protect you.
I will set you in a high place, safe and secure before my face.
15 I will answer your cry for help every time you pray,
and you will find and feel my presence
even in your time of pressure and trouble.
I will be your glorious hero and give you a feast.
16 You will be satisfied with a full life and with all that I do for you.
For you will enjoy the fullness of my salvation!”

God is with us on the mountain and in the valleys of life. He desires to be our strength. His desire is for us to trust Him as we live in His presence. Psalm 91 encourages us to live such a life. Tauren Wells sings a song that encourages me greatly to keep my focus on Him.

On the mountains, I will bow my life
To the One who set me there
In the valley, I will lift my eyes
To the One who sees me there

When I'm standing on the mountain
I didn't get there on my own
When I'm walking through the valley
I know I am not alone!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your Word that encourages me greatly to live in Your presence 24/7! Thank You for loving me so greatly! Thank You for Doc being able to not only be at the building but to also do a small drywall patch job! Thank You for continuing to be with him in this battle with pancreatic cancer! Thank You for blessing us with Nora bringing over our supper last night! Thank You for being with him as he preaches this morning! Lord, You are so good to us! I pray for a cleansing in me this morning so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You for the day ahead. May people see/hear You instead of me today. I pray for every pastor who will be in the pulpit today to preach what You desire. I also pray for pastors and their families to receive a special anointing from You. Heal relationships, Father and bring restoration to homes. Thank You Jesus for being The One to Restore Me! Amen.

No comments: