Saturday, June 6, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 71 - "Goodness of God"


The Lord woke me to these words from Goodness of God that Bethel sings...

I love You, Lord
For Your mercy never fails me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Cause all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Oh how this song blesses me! God is so, so good especially in the midst of trials on this earth. He then told me to read Psalm 71. This Psalm was written by David in confidence the Lord would always be with him. He prayed for protection over the enemies that came upon him and declared he would praise God through whatever happened in life. Charles Spurgeon wrote of this Psalm:

We have here THE PRAYER OF THE AGED BELIEVER, who, in holy confidence of faith, strengthened by a long and remarkable experience, pleads against his enemies, and asks further blessings for himself. Anticipating a gracious reply, he promises to magnify the Lord exceedingly.

Yes! I want to be like David as he wrote this Psalm. I desire to live in confidence and faith so I will be strengthened through the 'tough' days on this earth. When I do, I will praise God in the knowledge that I will spend eternity with Him in heaven. Woo hoo! No matter what comes before me, I know He is with me. I know I am standing in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit just as Paul wrote in II Timothy 1:7. I do not have to fear anything but instead stand in God's love. Last night's sermon about love is one I'm still 'chewing on' and taking in. I am so blessed by Brother Dan's teaching. He takes me deeper in my walk with God and challenges me to think in different ways. Woo hoo! Verses twenty through twenty-two of Psalm 71 in The Passion Translation speak words of peace to me.

Even though you’ve let us sink down with trials and troubles,
I know you will revive us again,
lifting us up from the dust of death.
21 Give us even more greatness than before.
Turn and comfort us once again.
22 My loving God, the harp in my heart will praise you.
Your faithful heart toward us will be the theme of my song.
Melodies and music will rise to you, the Holy One of Israel.

These verses give me hope for the future. They encourage me to continue praising Him through the storms of life. I am so grateful for the way He speaks to me and I hear Him. The way He gives me a song and Scripture that go together amazes me but it shouldn't. He is God and nothing He does should surprise me. This song continues...

I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
And in darkest night You are close like no other
I've known You as a Father
I've known You as a Friend
And I have lived in the goodness of God, yeah

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this song and Scripture this morning that show me Your goodness! Thank You for being with me in the valleys of life just as You are with me on the mountaintops! Thank You for the encouragement from the pain management doctor! Thank You for Doc being comfortable with him! I pray the treatment will alleviate Doc's pain as the doctor believes it will. Lord, I don't understand 'why' Doc has to go through pancreatic cancer but it is not for me to understand. May You continue to strengthen him not just physically but also emotionally, mentally, financially, and most of all spiritually. Thank You for Brother Dan's message last night! Thank You for the physical strength You gave me yesterday to get done what needed done! Thank You for Max Lucado's book you'll get through this that I finished yesterday! What a blessing! Thank You for cleansing me this morning so I can be a beacon of light for You throughout this day! May Your love ooze out of me every way possible in a more intentional way today. I ask for continued prayer for: my sister Linda; Melanie; my friend who asked for protection from rioting; Elli as she adjusts to her new cast; Donna with multiple physical issues; and many others. I pray blessings over Brett and Taylor's wedding today. May You continue to shine brightly through them. Lord, show me how to love with Your love so people will desire to come into relationship with You. May more people realize Your goodness through me. Thank You Jesus for being My Goodness! Amen.

No comments: