Monday, June 15, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 77; Matt 6:33 - "Rescue Story"


My sermon yesterday was entitled "Where Is Your Victory?" I spoke about how God answers our prayers. He desires us to seek Him throughout the days whether they are 'good' or 'bad' ones. He desires us to live in His love and empowerment as II Timothy 1:7 tells us. Throughout the night when I was awake the song Rescue Story was with me. 
There I was empty-handed
Crying out from the pit of my despair
There You were in the shadows
Holding out Your hand You met me there

And now where would I be without You?
Where would I be, Jesus?

You were the voice in the desert.
Calling me out in the dead of night
Fighting my battles for me
You are my rescue story
Lifted me up from the ashes
Carried my soul from death to life
Bringing me from glory to glory
You are my rescue story
This is about God rescuing us from an eternal life in hell. The way that is accomplished is by crying out from the pit of despair. This morning God took me to Psalm 77 which was written by Asaph. He cried out to God at a time when life was overwhelming. That is what Zach Williams did when he wrote Rescue Story and God rescued him and gave him salvation and peace. Whether we are saved or not God is always ready to accept us into His loving arms. He is always ready to give us His peace. All we have to do is allow Him to be Who He desires to be in our life. We need to trust Him. That's all He asks of us. As we trust Him, our focus goes off of the 'junk' we are dealing with and onto Him. That is where I find victory. As I pray I trust God to not necessarily remove all the 'junk' but to bring me through it stronger in my faith. I trust Him to take me deeper in my walk with Him. He desires us to trust Him with every aspect of our life. The small things, the large things, our family, our relationships, our health...everything. Trusting Him includes coming to the realization that He knows what is best for us. In Psalm 77 verses thirteen through fifteen show how Asaph came to this realization.

O God! Your way is holy!
    No god is great like God!
You’re the God who makes things happen;
    you showed everyone what you can do—
You pulled your people out of the worst kind of trouble,
    rescued the children of Jacob and Joseph.


Woo hoo! As we read the Bible we see how God delivered people out of tough situations. In every situation the result was for the best for the people. I truly believe He continues to do this for us today. He desires the best thing for us. All we need to do is follow Matthew 6:33. It reads in the New Living TestamentSeek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. Seek Him and live in His will. Plain and simple way of living yet so many people continue to live for themselves instead of Him. It saddens my heart to see this. There is such freedom when one surrenders and allows Him to have total control over every aspect of their life. Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm:

Days of trouble must be days of prayer; when God seems to have withdrawn from us, we must seek him till we find him. In the day of his trouble the psalmist did not seek for the diversion of business or amusement, but he sought God, and his favor and grace. Those that are under trouble of mind, must pray it away. He pored upon the trouble; the methods that should have relieved him did but increase his grief. When he remembered God, it was only the Divine justice and wrath. His spirit was overwhelmed, and sank under the load. But let not the remembrance of the comforts we have lost, make us unthankful for those that are left. Particularly he called to remembrance the comforts with which he supported himself in former sorrows. Here is the language of a sorrowful, deserted soul, walking in darkness; a common case even among those that fear the Lord, Isaiah 50:10. Nothing wounds and pierces like the thought of God's being angry. God's own people, in a cloudy and dark day, may be tempted to make wrong conclusions about their spiritual state, and that of God's kingdom in the world. But we must not give way to such fears. Let faith answer them from the Scripture. The troubled fountain will work itself clear again; and the recollection of former times of joyful experience often raises a hope, tending to relief. Doubts and fears proceed from the want and weakness of faith. Despondency and distrust under affliction, are too often the infirmities of believers, and, as such, are to be thought upon by us with sorrow and shame. When, unbelief is working in us, we must thus suppress its risings.
The remembrance of the works of God, will be a powerful remedy against distrust of his promise and goodness; for he is God, and changes not. God's way is in the sanctuary. We are sure that God is holy in all his works. God's ways are like the deep waters, which cannot be fathomed; like the way of a ship, which cannot be tracked. God brought Israel out of Egypt. This was typical of the great redemption to be wrought out in the fulness of time, both by price and power. If we have harboured doubtful thoughts, we should, without delay, turn our minds to meditate on that God, who spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, that with him, he might freely give us all things.

No matter what we are going through God is the answer. As Henry said, Days of trouble must be days of prayers... Prayer is the key to victory. A relationship with Christ is vital to having victory in this world. God is the only answer to this life.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this song and Scripture this morning! Thank You for speaking so clearly to me! Thank You for our time with Tim and Amy! Thank You for Doc being able to eat and function better! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You be seen/heard in and through me today in a great way. May I be more intentional in sharing Your love. Father, I'm physically tired with being up with Mordecei so often during the night. I pray for a renewal in my body. I also continue to pray for people who are not in relationship with You to find You and for ones who are in relationship with You to go deeper. Lord, may more people find the peace I have received through You. Father, I know there is someone who is having a medical test or surgery today. I cannot remember who it is but I know You know. I pray You will be with them and they will feel Your presence. Thank You Jesus for being My Rescue Story! Amen.

No comments: