Saturday, April 18, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 47 - "See A Victory"


As I tried to go to sleep last night I asked God to take away my pain. I apologized for complaining because I know the pain I have is nothing compared to what Doc is living with. I tried to be in the bed and when sleep wouldn't come I went to the couch but that didn't work either. I knew I needed to focus on others instead of myself so I went back to praying again. My heart is breaking for so many people/situations. I prayed for His peace and comfort for:

  • Doc as he continues with severe pain.
  • The family of the ten-year-old who was pronounced to have no brain activity and the family called to say their good-byes.
  • The family who took their two and a half year old home to die.
  • The Stanley family who lost Jon this week and now have Lee in the hospital.
  • The people who experienced loss of family members, earthly possessions, homes, etc. last Sunday due to tornadoes and now facing the possibility of the same type of weather tomorrow night.
  • Those who have COVID-19 and their families along with the ones caring for them to be protected.
  • People with a loved one in the hospital and they can't be with them including Pastor Robert who had to leave Janice.
  • Andy who needs a healing from infection in his toe.
  • Spencer who is recuperating from a liver transplant to have an appetite.
  • So many who are going through treatment for cancer.
After I finished praying, God told me to read Psalm 47. I asked if I should get up to read it then or wait until morning and He told me to wait. The first thing I did when I got up was to read it. I've read this Psalm many times and in most seasons of life it gives me the desire to shout praises for all He is to me. Right now I am struggling. I know He Is with me. I know He protects me. I know He loves me. Plain and simple. I know. But my heart hurts. I'm tired of watching my husband be in pain. I'm tired of hearing of little children dying. I'm tired of trying to function when my body is retaliating. Plain and simple. I'm tired. But I know in times like this the enemy is ready to jump in to cause havoc and that cannot happen. I must continue to stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in God's empowerment. As I do He will give me freshness in my spirit. He may not take my physical pain away but He will comfort me through it. I know He will give me His wisdom as I lean into Him. He will give me His strength to get through these tough days in the best way possible. I may never understand why Doc has cancer in his pancreas or why he has to suffer but I don't have to. All I have to do is trust in the Lord to see us through until we See A Victory whether on this earth or him going to heaven.


I’m gonna see a victory
I’m gonna see a victory
For the battle belongs to You Lord I’m gonna see a victory
I’m gonna see a victory
For the battle belongs to You Lord


Yes! As we see victories every day, we gain strength. Not every victory will seem to be a 'large' one but in reality every one are just that. God is the One who preforms victories in our lives. He is the One we need to praise. We should not praise Him just when life is going well. We need to praise Him through the valleys of life as well. Satan does not like when we praise God. Therefore, we need to praise Him even more when life seems like it is falling apart so the enemy does not walk into an open door into our life. Psalm 47 reads in The Message:

Applause, everyone. Bravo, bravissimo!
    Shout God-songs at the top of your lungs!
God Most High is stunning,
    astride land and ocean.
He crushes hostile people,
    puts nations at our feet.
He set us at the head of the line,
    prize-winning Jacob, his favorite.
Loud cheers as God climbs the mountain,
    a ram’s horn blast at the summit.
Sing songs to God, sing out!
    Sing to our King, sing praise!
He’s Lord over earth,
    so sing your best songs to God.
God is Lord of godless nations—
    sovereign, he’s King of the mountain.
Princes from all over are gathered,
    people of Abraham’s God.
The powers of earth are God’s—
    he soars over all.

Yes! This is what I need to do today no matter how 'hard' the day becomes. I need to praise Him for who He is in my life! I need to praise Him for all the ways He showers His love upon us! I need to praise Him for another day of life! Plain and simple. I need to praise Him! I love the words Matthew Henry wrote about these last few verses...

Set up thy kingdom in our hearts. Bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. And so sweetly constrain all the powers and faculties of the souls of thy redeemed, into holy love, fear, and delight in thee, that praise with the understanding may rise from every heart, both here and for ever, to Thee, our God.

Yes! I desire to live holy love, fear, and delight for the Lord. The desire of my heart is to live out the desires of His heart. I desire for Him to have complete dominion over every aspect of my life. Set up thy kingdom in our hearts is exactly what I desire for myself and for others. Oh how I pray for more people to come into such relationship with Him. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for another day of life! Thank You for reminding me of the need to praise You no matter what happens in the day ahead! Thank You for friends like Chris, Leslie, and Jeff who show Your love to us! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me to overflowing with Your love. Ooze out of me in such a way today Lord so people will see/hear You instead of me. Lord, be with the ones I prayed for before going to sleep last night. Touch them and comfort them. Have mercy on Doc with the pain he is experiencing, Give comfort and healing to: the family of the ten year old who was pronounced brain dead; the family of the two and a half year old who was taken home to die; Spencer; Andy; Lee and his family; those who lost family and possessions in the tornadoes last Sunday and now facing the same type of weather tomorrow night; those with COVID-19, their families, and those caring for them; Pastor Robert who can't be with his wife and others who have family hospitalized; those going through cancer treatments; Vance as he continues to recover from his accident; and so many who are hurting, especially those who have lost jobs due to COVID-19 such as my friend Jim. Lord, empower me to praise You through the storms of life in a way people will come into relationship with You. Help me not to lament but instead to praise. Thank You Jesus for being My Victory! Amen.

No comments: