Friday, March 13, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 19 - "The More I Seek You"


Yesterday as we celebrated Doc's birthday going out-to-lunch we talked about how different his birthday is being in South Carolina compared to Ohio. He told me about how he remembered one birthday when he was a young boy where they played outside in warm weather. I remember the year I got a bike for Christmas and it was cold but sunny outside so I bundled up and went out to ride it. Life is definitely different down here in many ways. Right now all the azalea bushes have been blooming for weeks, we picked strawberries in February and will pick again soon, are wearing shorts regularly, etc. We have more sunny days than not which is such a blessing, especially to someone with MS. I love when God takes me to Scripture that speaks to me about His creation. This morning He took me to Psalm 19 where the first six verses are about His story found in nature. In The Passage Translation they read:
God’s splendor is a tale that is told; his testament is written in the stars.
Space itself speaks his story every day through the marvels of the heavens.
His truth is on tour in the starry vault of the sky, showing his skill in creation’s craftsmanship.
Each day gushes out its message to the next, night with night whispering its knowledge to all.
Without a sound, without a word, without a voice being heard,
Yet all the world can see its story. Everywhere its gospel is clearly read so all may know.
What a heavenly home God has set for the sun, shining in the superdome of the sky! See how he leaves his celestial chamber each morning, radiant as a bridegroom ready for his wedding, like a day-breaking champion eager to run his course.
He rises on one horizon, completing his circuit on the other, warming lives and lands with his heat.
God is everywhere we look in nature. He is in the sun and the moon. He is found at the beginning of each day and at the end of each night. He is also found throughout the day as we see His creation all around us. It lightens a tough day when I see the beauty of His creation. When I see the dolphins playing in the water, I am blessed in knowing God made them for a purpose. That purpose at that point in time was to bless me. God made me for a purpose. That purpose is to love others with His love. As I picture the sun rising on one part of the earth while setting on another, I am blessed in knowing God designed earth in that particular way. He designed us to have a time of rest every day just as the sun as a time of rest. He designed every piece of His creation for a specific reason. When we don't understand what our purpose is in life or why God put us here, all we have to do is seek Him and He will reveal things to us in His time. We need to be in communication with Him and we need to be in His Word. The rest of this chapter is about how His story is found in His Word. There is no better book to read than the Bible. There is no other book that will reveal things to us about ourselves, others, and God. Verses seven through ten of this chapter reveal how God's holiness and grace are found in His Word.

God’s Word is perfect in every way; how it revives our souls!
His laws lead us to truth, and his ways change the simple into wise.
His teachings make us joyful and radiate his light; his precepts are so pure!
His commands, how they challenge us to keep close to his heart!
The revelation-light of his word makes my spirit shine radiant.
Every one of the Lord’s commands is right; following them brings cheer.
Nothing he says ever needs to be changed.
10 The rarest treasures of life are found in his truth.
That’s why I prize God’s word like others prize the finest gold.
Nothing brings the soul such sweetness as seeking his living words.
11 

Matthew Henry writes of these verses:

The Holy Scripture is of much greater benefit to us than day or night, than the air we breathe, or the light of the sun. To recover man out of his fallen state, there is need of the word of God. The word translated "law," may be rendered doctrine, and be understood as meaning all that teaches us true religion. The whole is perfect; its tendency is to convert or turn the soul from sin and the world, to God and holiness. It shows our sinfulness and misery in departing from God, and the necessity of our return to him. This testimony is sure, to be fully depended on: the ignorant and unlearned believing what God saith, become wise unto salvation. It is a sure direction in the way of duty. It is a sure fountain of living comforts, and a sure foundation of lasting hopes. The statues of the Lord are right, just as they should be; and, because they are right, they rejoice the heart. The commandments of the Lord are pure, holy, just, and good. By them we discover our need of a Saviour; and then learn how to adorn his gospel. They are the means which the Holy Spirit uses in enlightening the eyes; they bring us to a sight and sense of our sin and misery, and direct us in the way of duty. The fear of the Lord, that is, true religion and godliness, is clean, it will cleanse our way; and it endureth for ever. The ceremonial law is long since done away, but the law concerning the fear of God is ever the same. The judgments of the Lord, his precepts, are true; they are righteous, and they are so altogether; there is no unrighteousness in any of them. Gold is only for the body, and the concerns of time; but grace is for the soul, and the concerns of eternity. The word of God, received by faith, is more precious than gold; it is sweet to the soul, sweeter than honey. The pleasure of sense soon surfeit, yet never satisfy; but those of religion are substantial and satisfying; there is no danger of excess.

The chapter concludes with:

For they warn us, his servants, 
and keep us from following the wicked way,
giving a lifetime guarantee: great success to every obedient soul!
12 Without this revelation-light, how would I ever detect the waywardness of my heart?
Lord, forgive my hidden flaws whenever you find them.
13 Keep cleansing me, God, and keep me from my secret, selfish sins; may they never rule over me!
For only then will I be free from fault and remain innocent of rebellion.
14 So may the words of my mouth, my meditation-thoughts, and every movement of my heart be always pure and pleasing, acceptable before your eyes, my only Redeemer, my Protector-God.

This is my prayer every day. I desire for Him to cleanse me so He can then fill me with His Holy Spirit. As I live such a life I am empowered to love with His love. I do not have to fear anything because He is My Strength. I can live out II Timothy 1:7 to the fullest as I live in His Spirit. The last verse of this chapter is one I remember from when I was a little girl. In the King James Version it reads: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. Yes! The more I live in His Spirit, the more He will flow from me. The more I soak in His Word, the more His Word will flow from me. The more I desire to live a life sold-out to Him, the more He will shine brightly from me. The more I seek Him, the more I will find Him. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your Word that blesses me in abundance! Thank You for the way You use nature and music to bless me! Thank You for the blessing yesterday of Doc being able to go for a drive and out-to-lunch for his birthday! Oh how I pray he wakes up with less pain than last night. Lord, we need a miracle in his body. We need relief from pain and wisdom with treatment. Father, we know You are the Great Physician and continue to pray for healing while on this earth. Lord, hear our cries. We know You will continue to give us what we need to get through these days as we continue to seek more of You. Cleanse us so You can fill us. Use us however You so desire. May more people come into relationship with You through what You do in and through us. Lord, give strength today more than ever before. We need physical, mental, emotional, financial, and most of all spiritual strength. May You be greater than all of the things we are dealing with in life. May Your love be greater than anything that comes our way today. May we stand firm in our faith and not allow fear to creep in. May Your words, actions, thoughts, and attitude be ours today in a more intentional way than ever before. May we rest in You and allow You to be the calm of many storms of life. Thank You Jesus for being My Protector-God! Amen.

No comments: