Saturday, March 14, 2020

II Timothy 1:7 - "Church"


I woke up this morning with these words from the song Church...

Oh, take me back
To the place that feels like home
To the people I can depend on
To the faith that's in my bones
Take me back
To a preacher and a verse
Where they've seen me at my worst
To the love I had at first
Oh, I want to go to church

This song is about a person who was living a life for Christ but fell away. They desire to turn back to Him. There was a time in my life where I could have been the one to write this song. I allowed the enemy to have his way in my life for a period of time. I lived not only in the world but as the world. I made many mistakes that I wish I could turn back time and change. But that is not possible. What is possible is the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ. His arms were open and ready to take me back. The 'church' not so much by some but with His love by many. Those who accepted me back did it with restoration in mind through His love. Unfortunately, there are still memories of some who did not have the same actions. I don't want to ever act like people cannot have a restored relationship with Christ. We are not to be judgmental but instead are called to love with His love. That is an unconditional love that does not question but instead supports one another. The church body should feel like home and be full of people I can depend on. But what we all must remember is that the church is made up of human beings. That means there will be times where we may not be treated as God would treat us. There will be things said that may not be the best choice of words but it doesn't mean we aren't loved. We all need to live in God's will so we will be focused on Him instead of self. As we live such a life, times of us saying or doing something not Christ-like will become fewer and far between. We must remember to speak words of life to one another. I had a situation yesterday of overhearing a conversation about me. I wasn't eavesdropping. The people knew I was right there and could hear them talking. I think that's what hurt the most. I was made fun of being a pastor. Usually, I hear words to build me up not tear me down. I kept quiet and prayed. Part of me wanted to confront them but the Holy Spirit told me my actions speak louder than any words that could come from my mouth. I prayed not only for them but also for myself as I felt hurt. I prayed for God to reveal Himself to them through me. This morning as I think about the situation I am thinking I need to start asking others besides waitresses how I can pray for them. God empowers me by His Holy Spirit to love with His love (II Timothy 1:7). I pray He will empower me to live with His eyes and ears so I can be His hands and feet in a more intentional way. I feel like I missed an opportunity yesterday to witness for Him but I also believe the Holy Spirit stopped me from saying anything because of the hurt I was feeling. My words may not have gloried Him in the way they should. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the opportunities You gave me yesterday to love with Your love on the people at the Assisted Living facility! Thank You for keeping my mouth shut when I was hurt by words! Thank You for empowering Doc to get through the pain he had yesterday! Oh Father, may today be a better day for him. He has felt so bad since the chemo on Wednesday. Thank You for continuing to give him the strength to get through these days! Father, I pray for a cleansing in my soul so You can fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I pray You will empower me to live with Your eyes and ears so I can be Your hands and feet. I pray for more of You and less of me to show through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. Father, please bring people today to paint at the building. I pray You will be in our midst so much work can be accomplished. I also pray for those who would love to be there but physically can't. May You encourage them to continue to pray and give financially so the project can be completed. I pray for our time of celebration for Doc tomorrow to have Your protection from germs. I pray for decisions that are being made by governmental officials, school leaders, pastors, etc. to keep us safe. I also pray for Christians to use this time to share Your love with others in new, different ways than ever before. I pray for us to see this in a positive manner instead of how some are seeing it only as a negative. Thank You Father for the good news I received about an answer to a prayer I have been praying for many months; Little Richie having his last chemo; and Mick's encouraging doctor appointment! Thank You for being with Denice and her family with the loss of her mother and father! Thank You Jesus for being My Desire! Amen.

No comments: