Monday, March 4, 2019

Psalm 91 - "Praise You In This Storm"


Psalm 91 is one of encouragement. The words David penned are words of great insight into how we are to live. As we live in God's presence, we will live under His protective Spirit. This Psalm reminds us He is our: Most High; Almighty; Lord; and God. We cannot really know Him until we know Him by name. There are over one hundred names for Him throughout Scripture. I love to use the name "Daddy" for Him. I had a deep relationship with my earthly Daddy so it is easy for me to have one with my Heavenly Daddy. 

  • As my Most High, He surpasses all others in power and authority. His supernatural empowerment is great and He gives it to me when I accept it. As He uses His authority to protect me, I have no worries over what the enemy sends my way.
  • As my Almighty, I can stand on the promises He has spoken over me. In Hebrew, this is Shaddai which means all powerful omnipotent. As I live in His Shadow, I am protected from the evil one.
  • As my Lord, He is always there for me. He never leaves me. Yahweh or Jehoveh (Hebrew) is equivalent to the Greek term Emmanuel, which means "God with us."
  • As my God, He is the Maker of all which shows His great power and strength. We can trust Him with every aspect of our lives.
Psalm 91 reminds us He provides for us: shelter; protection; covering; refuge; shadow; and a shield. It also reminds us the way we can receive these is by crying out and asking. We also must abide in Him, living a life for Him 24/7. When we, as believers, go through storms in life people are watching to see how we will respond. They will ask if we believe in God enough to allow Him to guide us through the storms. They will question are faith if they see us faltering. What will they see? Will they see us leaning into Him or walking away from Him? Will they hear us praising God in both 'good' and 'bad' times? Will they see a deepening in our faith during the storms of life or will they see us faltering? What kind of testimony will they see from us? The first step to living in His empowerment is to accept Him into your heart. Then it takes loving Him and others to the point we are willing to love Him more than ourselves. We must be cleansed before He can fill us to overflowing with the empowerment to go deeper in our faith. We must be willing to die to self so He can live in and through us daily.

Dear Jesus:
Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace. Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me. Thank You for being there for those who will lean into You as they go through storms in life.
I pray they will realize it takes being in relationship with You to receive Your empowerment throughout the storm they are in. I pray they will be able to praise You through what they are dealing with in life.
  • Mallory's family as her body has finally been found; the others involved in the accident
  • Doc with kidney stone pain
  • Many dealing with cancer (Billie; John; Mike; Little Richie; Little Natalie; Peggy; Dale; my pastor friend)
  • One having a heart cath tomorrow
  • A husband with a wife addicted to alcohol
  • One awaiting biopsy results
  • Those who lost homes, loved ones, etc. in the tornadoes last night
  • The Momma in ICU after giving birth 
Father, may You be greater than all of these situations. May You be so real to all. May Your empowerment be accepted by all as they go through these storms. May they draw closer to You instead of away. Thank You Jesus for being My Empowerment. Amen.

No comments: