Wednesday, March 13, 2019

I John 3 - "Save My Life"


For the last couple of days the words to a song Sidewalk Prophet sings have been going through my mind...

Tell me what I need to hear
Tell me that I'm not forgotten
Show me there's a God
Who can be more than all I've ever wanted

'Cause right now I need a little hope
I need to know that I'm not alone
Maybe God is calling you tonight
To tell me something that might save my life
Save my life


Whether we are with believers, seekers, or people who do not know what they believe, we need to share the Gospel. People need the Lord. We all have questions, needs, desires, etc. only the Lord can fulfill. He is everything to everyone who allows Him into their life. Believers cannot be shy when sharing Him. We all must not only talk about Him but show Him through our actions. We must love with His love. Sometimes we do not know when someone we are around is hurting badly. Sometimes we do know but do not know just how to respond. Sometimes there are no words to say but just our presence is enough. The Lord took me to I John 3 this morning. My heart is overflowing...oh my. This chapter is one I know I've read before but it makes me so emotional...tears are flowing. Jesus died on the cross for everyone not some. The apostle John speaks of Jesus' love with admiration for the way He loves us enough to save us for eternity. The first three verses tell us we must walk in faith and in hope while we are on this earth. As we walk in this manner on this earth, we also will walk with Him in heaven when we leave here. In The Message there is a part in verses four through six that reads, No one who lives deeply in Christ makes a practice of sin. Christ does not sin. It is not a part of His life. Therefore, when we live a Christ-like life we no longer have the desire to sin. Living Christ-like or being sanctified is the best way to live. You no longer have the desire in your heart to please yourself but instead desire to walk in the way God takes you, doing whatever is asked of you, and being different. Matthew Henry wrote:

Religion is not an art, a matter of dexterity and skill, but a new nature. And the regenerate person cannot sin as he did before he was born of God, and as others do who are not born again. There is that light in his mind, which shows him the evil and malignity of sin. There is that bias upon his heart, which disposes him to loathe and hate sin. There is the spiritual principle that opposes sinful acts. And there is repentance for sin, if committed. It goes against him to sin with forethought. 

The Apostle John shared in verse eleven the importance of loving one another. As we do, it will show the transformation that has occurred in our life. The last seven verses of I John 3 tell us how when we live for ourselves, the Holy Spirit is grieved. The more selfish we are, the less love we can have for others. The more we allow the Holy Spirit to live in and through us, the more God's love will flow out of us. The more we allow His love to flow out of us, the more we will be transformed into His likeness. That is where I desire to live. I should not beat myself up for any opportunity I feel like He gave me that I missed. I should not  beat myself up for not saying the 'right words' either because if I am living in His image whatever comes from me is from Him. There is freedom in living like Him. There is a boldness in such a life. No longer does the enemy have his way but instead the empowerment of God takes control. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace that empowers me to walk in Your likeness. Thank You for the boldness and freedom such a life gives. Thank You for coming to this earth to die for all of us. Thank You for returning from the grave to show Your empowerment. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me. Make me more Christ-like today so people will see/hear You instead of me. Father, I pray for more people to come into relationship with You. I pray for people who are in relationship with You to become more Christ-like. I pray more of the Holy Spirit to fill people up to where Your love is overflowing. Sometimes it is overwhelming to think about just how much You love us and how I need to love others more with Your great love. Thank You Jesus for being My Example of True Love. Amen.

No comments: