Wednesday, April 12, 2017

II John 6 - "Live Like You're Loved"

As I read 2 John this morning there were parts that confused me and parts that I wondered how many times we have to be told in order for us to understand. At first I thought it was written to a "lady" (verse 1) but realized after reading further it was written to a church. I also realized it was written to a church that needed reminded of somethings. One is that we are to love (verses 5 and 6). Another is we are (verses 7-11) to be on guard of those who will try to deceive us. My favorite verse of this short letter is...


We were told previously in I John 5:3, "The proof that we love God comes when we keep his commandments and they are not at all troublesome" (MSG). Proof. What does proof do? It shows something. So if we truly want to walk the walk that we are talking when we say we love God then we must follow His commandments. I know there is the greatest commandment, ten commandments, etc. but to me I Peter 1:16 is the icing on the cake. Of course in order to follow it You definitely have to be following the rest of the commandments He has given. I like what Matthew Henry wrote about verse six in II John...

Our walk is true, our converse right, when according to the word of God. This commandment of mutual Christian love, may be said to be a new one, in respect of its being declared by the Lord Christ; yet, as to the matter, it is old. And this is love to our own souls, that we obey the Divine commands. 

Plain and simple. We must love God, others and ourselves if we intend to fulfill His wishes. We cannot do this just when we want to or when it is convenient. We must love at all times. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You!
Thank You for Your love! 
Thank You for Your love You put in me!
Thank You for Your love You put in me to love others!
Thank You for Your love You put in me to love others no matter what the circumstances are!
Father, fill me to overflowing with more of Your love to ooze out of me in a way people will see and/or hear You through me today. Thank You for the fun time we had last night with the children and teens. Thank You for the attentive ears to the story of Your resurrection. Thank You for our visit with Bill and Marlene. Father, You are so good with blessing us. I pray we are a blessing to You. Thank You Jesus for being My Love. Amen.

No comments: