Saturday, October 1, 2016

II Peter 1:10-11 - "What If I Stumble, What If I Fall"


As I read II Peter chapter 1 this morning, the Lord stopped me to ponder on verses ten and eleven. "make every effort" are some strong words. The promise that follows is also strong. "you will never stumble...will receive a rich welcome..." We are God's chosen people. He loves us so much that He sacrificed His son for us. We cannot just accept Him into our heart and think that is all it takes. A spiritual life goes beyond salvation. There is another aspect of a spiritual life that many do not follow and then wonder why life is so tough for them. Once the step is taken for living a holy life as God has called us to do, the trials of life are lived through with His peace. The idea of "never stumbling" is possible when we live in His will. I was in a conversation yesterday about leaders in the church who stumble and fall away from the Lord. The question was asked how that can happen if they are living a holy life. Plain and simple. It can't. Some people live behind masks. They pretend to be living one way but unfortunately they are living the opposite. The result of this kind of living will be going before the Lord on Judgment Day and be cast away from Him. I fear there will be many people in this situation. They do not have to be cast away but they are choosing themselves over God. They are choosing the ways of the world over His way. I am choosing His way. I am choosing eternity with Him. I am choosing to be one who as Matthew Henry says, "...growing in grace, and abounding in the work of the Lord, shall have an abundant entrance into the joy of their Lord, even that everlasting kingdom where Christ reigns, and they shall reign with him for ever and ever." Woo hoo! YES! I praise His Holy Name for the desire He put on my heart to live a holy life. If I were not where I am today in my relationship with Him, I would be fretting over many things we are dealing with in our new place. But there is no need to fret. Everything in His will will happen in His time. The things not in His will are not going to happen. We must never manipulate situations to get them to be how we think they should be. Instead we need to wait on Him. I didn't get to hear last week's sermon but as I read what Carol wrote about it I was blessed in knowing we are in "God's Waiting Room" waiting on the Holy Spirit to guide us. There is no better place to be. Yes, waiting is hard in the human aspect but in the spiritual aspect our faith and trust will grow so much deeper.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You yesterday! The time Doc and I had to be together to explore more of our area, rest and relax, etc. was just what I needed. Thank You for the day that is ahead! Thank You for being with him as he ministers to this family today during there time of grief. I pray for them to love on one another in a new way today. I pray as salvation is preached they will accept You. Thank You for tomorrow! I pray for those who are 'thinking' of coming to church to do so. I pray for all the Sunday School teachers to be prepared for their class. I pray for pastors everywhere who will be going into the pulpit to preach Your Word in a way people will come to know You in a personal way. Father, most of all I thank You for the doctrine of holiness. I thank You for leading me deeper into relationship with You. Lord, we are in Your waiting room. The desire of our hearts is for You to be glorified in all that we do and say. May You fill us to overflowing with more of You so everything that comes out of our mouth glorifies You. May You be in our attitude and actions in a mighty way today. Oh Father, we need an abundance of You today. Thank You Father for being My Holiness! Amen.



No comments: