Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I John 2 - "One Thing Remains"


I woke up this morning singing "Your love never fails, it never gives up..It never runs out on me..." I was crushed in thinking of people who do not know the Lord's love. There are so many people in this world who may have heard of Him but yet are not in relationship with Him. They are hurting so greatly but yet many do not even realize there is an answer for them. I love the beginning words of this song...

Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant through the trial and the change
One thing... Remains, yes
One thing Remains.

Sometimes people stray away from the Lord because they blame Him for their circumstances. God gives us free choice. That free choice can make us stray away from Him. The enemy is on the prowl looking for open doors into our lives to pull us away from God. We must be on guard at all time to stay strong in our spirit to not allow the enemy in. As I read I John 2 this morning I was reminded the day is coming where the Lord will return and we must be ready. He must remain in us at all times. His love must flow from us at all time. If we expect to live for eternity with Him, we must be willing to live for Him while on this earth. Verses fifteen through seventeen reads:

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

I like the way Matthew Henry explains these verses: "The things of the world may be desired and possessed for the uses and purposes which God intended, and they are to be used by his grace, and to his glory; but believers must not seek or value them for those purposes to which sin abuses them. The world draws the heart from God; and the more the love of the world prevails, the more the love of God decays." In other words, we cannot be in complete submission to God and love with His love if we allow the world to take over our thoughts and actions. His love will remain forever yet this world we live in will not. Henry continues, "Unless this victory over the world is begun in the heart, a man has no root in himself, but will fall away, or at most remain an unfruitful professor. Yet these vanities are so alluring to the corruption in our hearts, that without constant watching and prayer, we cannot escape the world, or obtain victory over the god and prince of it." We must be obedient to the Lord and stay living in His presence in order to live with Him for eternity. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders You have given me this morning. Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace. Lord, if there is anything in my life that is not of You I pray You will wipe it out in order for be to be who You desire me to be. I pray You will enable me to be strong in my faith and bold with my words. I pray You will fill me to overflowing with You so people will see and hear You through me. Father, I am not sure where You will lead me today but I do know I desire to be Your obedient servant in all that I do. Thank You for giving me that desire. Lord, would You please put someone in my path today that I can encourage through Your love? Thank You for my friend who You told me to pray for this morning. I am not happy she was having a tough morning but I am happy You used me to encourage her. Thank You for my friend You woke me up in the middle of the night to pray for. I pray her pain was lessened through my obedience. Lord, sometimes You allow me to know answers to my prayers and sometimes You do not. But either way it does not matter. I am blessed to be Your praying servant. Thank You for being My Constant. Amen.


No comments: