Monday, March 14, 2016

John 8:42-47 - "Open Up The Heavens"

The Lord took me once again to John 8 this morning to read and ponder. As I read this passage I was taken back to a year ago when we were in Israel. I loved that trip. Being able to walk where Jesus walked was so special. Seeing places like the Mount of Olives brings the Bible to life as I read it. Today I settled in to spend time pondering verses forty-two through forty-seven...


Matthew Henry writes about this passage: "Satan prompts men to excesses by which they murder themselves and others, while what he puts into the mind tends to ruin men's souls. He is the great promoter of falsehood of every kind. He is a liar, all his temptations are carried on by his calling evil good, and good evil, and promising freedom in sin. He is the author of all lies; whom liars resemble and obey, with whom all liars shall have their portion for ever. The special lusts of the devil are spiritual wickedness, the lusts of the mind, and corrupt reasonings, pride and envy, wrath and malice, enmity to good, and enticing others to evil. By the truth, here understand the revealed will of God as to the salvation of men by Jesus Christ, the truth Christ was now preaching, and which the Jews opposed."

How my heart breaks for people who are listening to the enemy instead of God. There are so many seeking freedom from junk of this world but are seeking it through the wrong way. Jesus is the Only Way to receive freedom. His way may not look as good or be as easy but it is the Only Way. Unfortunately, as Jesus points out in verse forty-three many are unable to hear Him because they are listening to the enemy's lies. I was thinking about how many times I have had someone tell me the Lord wasn't speaking to them. Sometimes He speaks but we refuse to listen. But sometimes people can't hear because they are not in right relationship with Him. For me it is sad to think of those who use to hear from Him but have chosen the enemy's path so no longer hear from the Lord. It brings me back to my prayers yesterday for the prodigals. The Lord gives us all free choice and many exercise it as they seek freedom. If only people would realize true freedom comes only through Him.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this passage in John! Thank You for our trip last year to Israel. Oh how I pray we will be able to go again. I would love to go for an extended period of time to live where You lived. Father, I pray for the prodigals who You brought to my prayers yesterday. I pray they will encounter You in a whole new way today. Yes...'new'!!!! I am ready for what You have in store for me with something 'new' as You promised a few weeks ago. Bring it on! Fill me to overflowing with You so I don't miss any opportunity You bring my way! Thank You Jesus for being The Voice I Hear. Amen.

No comments: