Sunday, July 13, 2014

Mark 10:46-52 - "Thrive"

"We were made to thrive, not just survive."  I've heard those words a few times over the last few days and then yesterday while I was listening to KLOVE Casting Crowns song "Thrive" came on.  Part of it goes…

SO LIVING WATER FLOWING THROUGH
GOD, WE THIRST FOR MORE OF YOU 
FILL OUR HEARTS AND FLOOD OUR SOULS WITH ONE DESIRE
JUST TO KNOW YOU AND TO MAKE YOU KNOWN
WE LIFT YOUR NAME ON HIGH
SHINE LIKE THE SUN, MAKE DARKNESS RUN AND HIDE
WE KNOW WE WERE MADE FOR SO MUCH MORE THAN ORDINARY LIVES 
IT’S TIME FOR US TO MORE THAN JUST SURVIVE
WE WERE MADE TO THRIVE

Woo hoo!  YES!  That's what I want!  I want "…living water flowing through…" me.  The desire of my heart is for the Lord to "..fill our hearts and flood our souls with one desire…"  I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I was "…made for so much more than ordinary lives.."  I don't want to just survive but I want to thrive.  When I go into difficult times where I feel like I may not be able to get through, I use to pray for the Lord to help me to survive them.  I've changed my prayers to be "Lord, help me to thrive."  


Mark 10
46 Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means “son of Timaeus”), was sitting by the roadside begging.
47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
48 Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”  So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.”
50 Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.
51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.  The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.
Bartimaeus didn't just survive but he thrived.  His life was one that looked hopeless yet he didn't allow his circumstances to pull him down.  He had faith that the Lord would take care of him and He did.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the encouragement of the words of this song.  Thank You for loving me enough to enable me to do more than just survive but rather to thrive!  Thank You for giving me the spirit of keeping on when I feel like I am in circumstances that are not possible.  Thank You Lord for being The One That Makes Me Thrive!  Amen.




No comments: