Monday, July 21, 2014

I Peter 5:8-9; I Samuel 17:47 - "Do Something"

What a sermon Doc preached yesterday!  The "funny" part was it wasn't even the sermon he was prepared to give.  The Lord took parts of it and changed it up.  I love when that happens but I don't think Doc likes it too much.  As people were leaving, some commented on how Doc stepped on their toes but they were thankful he did.  

The second point to his sermon was "The Battle Is Over You."  It was in this area that I believe people (including myself) became uncomfortable.  He told us we are ineffective as a church.  Many are living with a deficit in their spiritual lives.  When "Prayer Meeting" is announced, only a couple show up.  There are all kinds of excuses given but when you get down to the bottom of it the reason is selfishness.  We want to take care of what we want to do before gathering to pray for souls of others.  How sad!  When we aren't doing as the Lord instructs us to do, we are opening the door to the enemy.

Be alert and of sober mind.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.   I Peter 5:8-9

Yesterday I saw first hand the roaring lion go in for a kill.  It was not a pretty sight.  Afterward, I was anointed at the altar for this one.  I prayed against the enemy having a foothold in his life.  I loved how Pastor Isaac prayed for not only him but also for all members of his family to be in relationship with the Lord.  I had such peace after the anointing.  I was taking the situation personal until the Lord revealed to me I Samuel 17:47…

All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give all of you into our hands.  

"…for the battle is the Lord's…"  Woo hoo!  It is not my battle BUT it is up to me to be in prayer for situations such as this.  It is up to me to be praying for souls of those who aren't in relationship with Him.  It is up to me to pray for those who are playing in the trash of this world and pretending to be followers of Christ.  It is up to me to not be selfish with my time or money and to be Jesus to others.  

The song "Do Something" comes to my heart this morning...

I woke up this morning 
Saw a world full of trouble now 
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down 
How’s it ever gonna turn around 
So I turned my eyes to Heaven 
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?” 
Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of 
People living in poverty 
Children sold into slavery 
The thought disgusted me 
So, I shook my fist at Heaven 
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?” 
He said, “I did, I created you” 
If not us, then who 
If not me and you 
Right now, it’s time for us to do something 
If not now, then when 
Will we see an end 
To all this pain 
It’s not enough to do nothing 
It’s time for us to do something 
I’m so tired of talking 
About how we are God’s hands and feet 
But it’s easier to say than to be 
Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves 
It’s alright, “somebody else will do something” 
Well, I don’t know about you 
But I’m sick and tired of life with no desire 
I don’t want a flame, I want a fire 
I wanna be the one who stands up and says, 
“I’m gonna do something” 
We are the salt of the earth 
We are a city on a hill 
But we’re never gonna change the world 
By standing still 
No we won’t stand still 
No we won’t stand still 
No we won’t stand still 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders of my purpose on this earth from yesterday's sermon and the situation I dealt with.  Thank You for the prayers of Pastor Isaac that encouraged me.  Thank You for loving me so much that You put me on this earth to be Your hands and feet.  Lord, I want to be and I want the people of my church to be "…the salt of the earth…"  Lord, open our hearts to the desires of your heart.  I pray for more people to step up as prayer warriors.  I pray for more people to have the desire in their heart to say "I'm gonna do something…"  Thank You Jesus for being My Reminder.  Amen.







No comments: