Thursday, July 24, 2014

II Timothy 1:7 - "Footprints In The Sand"/"Carry Me"

Fear…it can be something so crippling.  It is so easy to say "don't worry" yet when you are going through something yourself it's hard.  Our human nature points us in that direction while our God points us in the direction of trusting Him.  When we are scared, does that mean we don't trust God?  I don't think so.  But I do believe when we allow fear to take over our lives then we are getting low in the trust of the Lord.  

I woke up this morning singing "Carry Me" and thought about the poem "Footprints In The Sand." 

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.
After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.
This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."
He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
- by Margaret Fishback Powers


I am so grateful the Lord promises to never leave me.  The words to "Carry Me" reinforce that along with the words to "Footprints In The Sand."  

Jesus calm my heart
Come near me please
Lord don't let these worries get the best of me
Oh I believe, that You're still here with me
Cause You meant what You said when You said You'd never leave

Carry me, carry me, carry me now
From my sinking sand to Your solid ground
The only way I'm ever gonna make it out
Is if You carry me, carry me, carry me now
God carry me, carry me, carry me now


I love how the Lord gives us gentle reminders He is with us through tough days.  A song.  A poem.  Even this morning in my "Praying Wives Club" prayer...

Empower my husband with the Holy Spirit so that he will be strong and courageous as he goes through his day. Protect him from discouragement and fear by reminding him that You are with him wherever he goes. Show him Your power and might as You fight for him, defend him, and deliver him from harm. (Joshua 1:9)

"Protect him from discouragement and fear by reminding him that You are with him wherever he goes."  I added to this II Timothy 1:7.  God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but He gives us a spirit of power, love and self-control.  It was not by accident the Lord gave us this verse in the ER Tuesday.  We must stand strong in trusting Him with these health issue Doc is going through.  When I think back on the MS diagnosis, my back surgeries, my cervical surgeries, his knee surgeries…all of the things we have been through with our physical bodies, there were times we were afraid but we never stopped trusting the Lord.  

Dear Jesus,
I don't think I should ask you to take away the fear because You are using this situation to draw us closer to You.  So instead I ask that You will stay very near to us and encourage us. Lord, I pray when I call this morning I will be able to get an appointment for Doc.  But Father only if that is Your will.  If we are to go down another path, lead us that direction.  The perfect answer to whatever is going on in his body would be an instantaneous healing.  We believe You can do that but once again only if it's Your will.  Father, enable us to not focus on this today but instead to focus on You and what You desire of us.  Lord, today is Doc's sermon day and I can't imagine how that is going to happen today without Your divine intervention.  I pray for Him to lean upon You in a mighty way for Your peace.  Thank You Jesus for being Our Carrier.  Amen.




No comments: