Friday, July 25, 2014

I Corinthians 10:23;31-33 - Permissable

Last night I was having a dream that just didn't really make sense to me.  We were on a trip with the teens where we flew into Chicago.  At the airport there were five large cars (not limousines) waiting for us to take them to a destination.  I was left to drive the last one and we took off on the busy highway.  I didn't like driving in the heavy traffic and was crying.  All of a sudden Doc pulled off to the side and said they had called him and told him we were only to take four and were to leave one of the cars along side the road and they would pick it up.  I was so relieved as I got into his car.  

The next thing I know I'm awake and wondering where on earth did that dream come from.  A lot of time I will dream and the dreams just don't make sense.  This time not only did it not make sense but I heard the Lord speak the words of Paul found in I Corinthians 10:23...

Everything is permissible," but not everything is helpful. "Everything is permissible," but not everything builds up. 

Another version reads

You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is beneficial.

So then I begin to wonder…what have I done or am thinking of doing that I shouldn't do.  This chapter goes onto talking about not causing "…anyone to stumble…" by things we do.  I wonder if I am doing something that would do that.  

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Dear Jesus,
Please open my eyes to anything that I am doing that would cause someone to stumble.  If there is something in my life that is "permissible" yet not something that "is good for me," would you reveal it to me?  I don't ever want to be doing something that doesn't glorify you.  Thank You Jesus for being the One I Glorify!  Amen.

No comments: