Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Various Scripture - "Words"

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  Ephesians 4:29

In group last night we talked about cursing.  There are words that are acceptable in some cultures that aren't acceptable in others.  I looked up the definition of cursing and found "utter offensive words in anger or annoyance."  That led me to think about how some people use offensive words every day without thinking twice about it.  It's a habit for them.  But if I say someone is cursing when they say something that is not taking the Lord's name in vain am I judging them?  What about if I get upset for someone for a word they say in my presence?  Am I sinning in my attitude?  

To go one step further what about the words that we say that aren't cuss words yet they aren't uplifting others?  What about when we speak death instead of life to people?  What about when we complain instead of praise the Lord because we aren't happy with what is happening in our lives?  If a believer has negative words coming out of their mouths, why would a non-believer want to believe in the Lord?  

I want my words to be pleasing to the Lord.  The desire of my heart is to never hurt someone with my words.  Unfortunately, I am human and say things before I think.  It takes praying every morning for more of Him and less of me in order to have His words be more of my speech.  I also want my attitude to be pleasing to the Lord.  I can get a negative attitude when I listen to people speak negative things.  I need to pray against that.  I also need to pray against being judgmental.  As was said last night, "we are to judge the sin not the sinner."  

There are many commandments in the Bible that we need to adhere to.  One of them is found in the ten commandments.  Exodus 20:7a reads, Do not take the Lord's name in vain.  Whether it be that we actually say His name in vain or if we use a slang for His name it is still wrong.  Ouch!  How many times do I say "oh my gosh!" in a day's time?  When I see believers use "OMG" it bothers me.  Are others bothered when I say "oh my gosh"?  When I am in a public place and hear what I consider foul language, it upsets me.  But I have to be careful what I do with being upset.  If I get angry, then I am sinning.  If I speak against the one using foul language, then I am sinning.  

There are so many words used by people that are OK in one home and not OK in another.  I personally have a problem with a word many use that I feel is just as offensive as a word that is offensive to many others.  I don't understand why it's acceptable to many believers.  But it probably is because I was raised that the word it is slang for was the dirtiest word on the earth.  I will never forget when one of our pastors used the slang word from the pulpit.  I was very offended.  Was I wrong?  Was he wrong?

No matter what, we must watch what comes out of our mouth.  I tell the teens over and over, "junk in, junk out."  Whatever we put into our lives will flow out of them.  It is our responsibility to choose life, not death with not only our words but our actions.  Paul gives us the way to do this in Philippians 4:8Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  When we keep our sight on the Lord, He will help us to live life and not death with both our words and our actions. 

Dear Jesus,
I pray Psalm 19:14 over myself this morning….May the words of mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
I pray Psalm 141:3 over myself this morning…Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the doors of my lips!
I pray Isaiah 55:10-11 over myself this morning…For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Thank You Jesus for being My Life!  Amen.


No comments: