Thursday, May 1, 2014

I Timothy 2:1-6; II Chronicles 7:14 - Praying for Our Government

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority,that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one Godand one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 

1 Timothy 2:1-6


These verses tell us to pray not only for our friends and family but also "…for kings and all those in authority…"  I do pray for those in authority in our government but I must admit I don't think I give thanks for them very often.  I pray for godly leaders who will hear and listen to the Lord.  I pray for believers to be in office who will stand against things that are blatant sin.  I pray the leaders in our government will be humbled before the Lord.

The key to change in our country is found in II Chronicles 7:14...

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.


"…my people, who are called by my name,…"   That is all believers not non-believers.  Therefore, we can't expect our government leaders to be humbled before the Lord until they know Him in a personal relationship.   We can't expect the Lord to snap His fingers and fix our country until we do as we are directed in these verses.  


  1. Pray for our government leaders.
  2. Humble ourselves, pray, seek the Lord and turn from sin.
It's easy to ask the Lord to change them in our prayers.  It's also easy to blame them for the state our country is in.  But is it easy for us to be humbled before the Lord and turning from sin?  That depends upon how bad we want to live in a peaceful country.  If enough believers truly wanted this, there would be more than a handful at prayer meetings.  When believers take this to heart, change will happen within our government.  

Dear Jesus,
I pray for believers to be humbled before You.  I pray for believers to realize the importance of prayers for our government.  Lord, how can I pray for You to open the eyes of our government leaders when I haven't prayed for their souls?  It's just not possible.  Lord, I do pray for their souls.  I pray You will put someone before them that will allow them to see You. Thank You Jesus for being My King and Authority!  Amen.

No comments: