Monday, April 7, 2014

Jeremiah 29:11-14; Proverbs 22:6 - "Lord Prepare Me to Be A Sanctuary"

I remember a few years back I was Sunday School Superintendent and there was a need for a teen teacher on Sunday mornings.  I figured I had helped Doc with teens at Orrville so I could probably handle it until a teacher was found.  Let's see…how many years ago was that?!?!?  LOL  I love my teens.  Yesterday's class was a fine example of why I am with them.  We started the lesson but then the Lord took the class a different direction.  I love that they feel comfortable enough to talk about "things that won't leave this room."  I also love that I learn from them.  The Lord has entrusted me in teaching them for a reason.  Plain and simple.  We need each other.  They encourage me and I pray I encourage them.  

Over the last few days we've been contacted by teens from our group in Orrville.  One of them asked for prayer for things going on in their life.  Another asked for our address to send us a wedding reception invitation.  We are having lunch with another one of them today when he is in town.  These kind of things make us feel good that we impacted lives years ago that are still be impacted today.

We never know when something we say or do will click with someone.  We may be the only believer in their life and it's important for them to have a positive influence from us.  We don't know what people live with or through unless they tell us.  Life, especially for teenagers, can be quite challenging.  There is so much going on within their bodies and lives that can cause questions.  Unfortunately, so many times family dynamics are such that they feel like they can't talk to their parents or they don't even have parents to talk to.

I like to be there for them, no matter what they are going through.  Teens (and children for that matter) today go through stuff that I never went through.  Even though my boys were teens not so many years ago there is even stuff today children and teens go through that wasn't part of their world.

As a Sunday School teacher, the most important thing I can do is love them.  When I live out Jesus in my own life, they will see it and want it.  The Lord's words in Jeremiah 29:11-14 encourage all, not just children and teens, to stay with the Lord.  

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."
Jeremiah 29:11-14 NIV

I know the trend is for kids to walk away from the church after graduating high school.  That is 
an unfortunate thing that happens.  But when we plant seeds in our children and teens they will not stay away forever.  Proverbs 22:6 tells us, Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  We must hold onto this scripture but we also must pray for those who have left the church.  Most especially we need to pray for those who have left a relationship with the Lord.  

Dear Jesus,
When I think of the many children and teens I have had the opportunity to plant seeds with, I am blown away.  I could never sit down and write down all their names.  But what I can do is pray for them to be in relationship with You.  I also can focus on the ones who I currently have influence over and do my best to be You to them.  Father, thank You for my teen Sunday School class.  Thank You for the way You love me through them.  Thank You for blessing Doc and I with connection with the teens from the past.  Thank You for using me to be an influence in lives.  Father, direct my steps and my words today to make a difference in people's lives.  Thank You Jesus for being My Director.  Amen.


No comments: