Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Philippians 4:13; James 1:2-3 - April 20 is Drawing Near

Over the last couple of weeks I've had the "opportunity" to go through my health history a few times with different people.  A nurse from my insurance company came to the house to make sure I was getting everything offered through the insurance.  The new place I'm getting my medicine through called and asked for my health history so that their records were complete. 

As I was going over everything with them I was reminded of what all I have been through these last twenty years since the diagnosis of the MS.  I went from the bed and wheelchair, to  using the walker, to using the cane, to being on my own two feet.  I've had times where I not only couldn't walk right but I couldn't use my arms/hands properly, couldn't see clearly, and a lot of times of my mind not working with my mouth.  Many days have been spent in bed with a lot of sleeping happening.  

What have I learned through all of this?  Most importantly to lean on the Lord's strength.  Twenty years ago He told me: "Sheila, you can do all things through Me who gives you strength."  (Philippians 4:13)  I've held onto these words throughout not only the times of being physically down but also when I've struggled emotionally and mentally.  I've also learned how to handle such times as found in James 1:2-3.  Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  There have been so many MS times when I allowed the enemy to creep into my life and steal my joy.  A few years ago that stopped.  He has no foothold in my life.  I refuse to allow him any reason to be in it.  

As April 20 draws nearer, I am more emotional.  Not only is it the twenty year anniversary of my MS diagnosis but it is also Resurrection Sunday and the one year anniversary of my Daddy leaving this earth.  It will be a day of celebration in so many ways yet there will be a sadness because I miss my Daddy so very much.  Yesterday was just one of those days where every time I turned around I saw a man who looked like him or a couple who reminded me of my Momma and Daddy.  There were tears several times throughout the day. But once again I refuse to allow the enemy a foothold.  I refuse to be bitter or angry.  I accept the promise for the Lord's strength of Philippians 4:13.  I know My Heavenly Daddy will get me through whatever lies ahead.  

I am so grateful for these last few years of not having to have any IV's for my MS.  I remember the early days of wondering "when" I would have an exasperation that would make me not be able to function properly.  Now I don't wonder about but know the Lord has me in His hands.  He knows the plan for my life and that's all that is important.  

Dear Jesus,
I praise You for these last twenty years and all I've learned about You through dealing with the MS.  I praise You for the opportunities You have given me to share my testimony so many times.  Lord, for those who are dealing with diseases such as MS I pray for them to draw near to You.  Yes, books and meetings are helpful to a certain point but You truly are the most helpful of all.  Lord, on another note I pray for more strength to get through these days as April 20 draws nearer.  I also pray for my friends who have lost loved ones this week.  I think of words I read about my dear friend Linda this morning…"You were a great Daughter of Jesus. Your hugs were always welcome & loving like you! I'll see you again one day my friend."  That's how I want to be remembered…'a great Daughter of Jesus'.  Thank You Father for Your love, mercy and grace that molds me.  Thank You for growing me into 'a great Daughter of Jesus'.  I love that!  Thank You for being The One To Mold Me.  Amen.

No comments: