Monday, April 14, 2014

Exodus 4:11-12 - Authority

Yesterday Rabbi William shared Exodus 4:11-12…

The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

This was the Lord's reply to Moses when he questioned Him after being told to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.  “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The Lord did not appear to you’?” was Moses question.  The Lord gave him signs over and over again to get Him to realize he had the Lord's authority to do what he was asked.

We have the Lord's authority to do what He asks of us.  We are not on our own.  We don't have to worry about whether people will listen or not when the Lord tells us to tell them something.  It is His responsibility to do that.  But we have to be obedient in doing what He asks of us.  

When I awake each day and ask the Lord to give me opportunities to be Him to others, it is my responsibility to see those opportunities.  It is also my responsibility to rely on Him and not try to do anything on my own.  Just as He told Moses "...I will help you speak and will teach you what to say" He will do for me.  

I think the most important thing in listening to the Lord is just that.  It has to be from the Lord that we get our direction.  If we are still living a life that isn't totally surrendered to Him, we can't always hear Him so there will be times when we question whether our direction is coming from the Lord or not.  The enemy comes deceivingly to trick us to think it is the Lord speaking.  

Rabbi William also talked about people being put down over and over again.  When that happens, we become worn.  How can we possibly hear from the Lord if we are worn?  We must get our tanks filled back up with spending more time with Him, allowing Him to heal us from our hurts, and seeking more of Him and less of ourselves.  People can be hurtful and hurt can be one of the biggest challenges we face to be able to stay close to the Lord.  Circumstances of life can be trying, especially when it seems we go through one major disaster after another.  

As a pastor, you not only have your own life to deal with but you become involved in a whole bunch of other people's lives and take on their disasters.  I remember one of my first times in the ER with a close friend and I started to cry.  My husband reminded me that I was there as the Lord's servant and I needed to stay strong in front of my friend and her family.  Sometimes it's times like those that wear you down.  The holding in of emotions until you are alone.  The need to cry out silently to the Lord for strength to get through trying situations.  The frustration of people not listening to the Lord.  These are all things that wear you down.

Praise the Lord for the knowledge that He is there for us.  I am so thankful in knowing that I do not have to take on the responsibility of others being saved.  All I have to do is present Jesus to them and He handles the rest.  When I came to believing that, I found a peace that is indescribable.  When I gave Him the authority He already had to be over my entire being, He gave me authority to be His servant in a mighty way.  He gave me His strength to get through tough times.  Sometimes that is a physical strength.  Sometimes it is a mental or emotional strength.  It is always a spiritual strength.  Yesterday in my physical weakness as I was having difficulty forming my words and thoughts together He continued to spiritually strengthen me.  He gave me His joy in abundance.  That joy enabled me to enjoy the day in a different way than I ever have in the past on the day of the Passover Seder.  I loved when Rabbi had us say, "I will leave here changed!"  Woo hoo!  Change is good!

Dear Jesus,
You are so awesome in the way You love me, You direct me, You watch over me.  I praise You for yesterday and the way You spoke to me.  I praise You for Your love, mercy and grace that enables me to be Your servant.  I praise you for the authority You put upon me each and every day before my feet hit the floor.  Father, thank You for all You do for me.  Once again, I ask for more of You and less of me to shine through.  Whatever lies ahead in this day, is Yours.  Thank You Jesus for being My Authority.  Amen.

No comments: