Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Colossians 3:23-24 - My Excitement

I was telling Doc something that I "read" in the wee hours of the morning yesterday only I couldn't remember exactly how it went.  So I went to the article I read it in only to not find it.  The article is along the same thinking but not what I "read"…. I must be going crazy!   Or maybe the Lord planted the thought in my mind for me to pursue. 

What I "read" was something along the lines that it shouldn't be just new believers who are excited about the Lord...Resurrection Sunday is something to celebrate by all believers.  I pondered over these thoughts throughout the day.   The more I thought about it the more I longed for more excitement in my own personal relationship with the Lord.  I know we can't always be on the mountaintop but I also know we don't have to always be in the valleys.  

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.  In our small group last night, I was reminded of how I blame myself when I don't do or say the right thing when talking to someone about Christ yet if I go into every day asking the Lord to guide me then He will do just that.  He will give me the right words.  He will put before me opportunities to be Him to others and then direct me on how to go about it.  There is no right or wrong way when I give the Lord free reign.  

When I think of the word "excited" in relation to my walk with the Lord, I'm not sure that emotion shows through to others.  Do I feel excited in what He has done for me?  Most definitely.  Do I show excitement to others about what He has done for me?  Sometimes but not always.  Do I share with others my testimony?  Unfortunately not enough.

Excited Definition

dictionary.search.yahoo.com
adj. adjective
  1. Being in a state of excitement; emotionally aroused; stirred.
  2. Being at an energy level higher than the ground state.

Do I bring energy into my relationship with the Lord?  I must admit sometimes I get pretty worn down.  What wears me down?  A lot of times it's the "stuff" of life that sucks the energy out of me.  I need to be more focused on the desires of His heart instead of what people want of me.  Once again I am reminded of Colossians 3:23-24...
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
If I can just stay focused on these words, I will show excitement for the Lord.  When I do that, I believe others will want what they see I have.  I can't imagine anyone wanting a relationship with the Lord if all they see is a stressed-out, complaining, downer of a person.  But I can imagine them wanting a life of peace and contentment.
These next few weeks are packed full in the life of the church.  Baby dedication, new members received, Eagle Scout ceremony, Passover Seder, Resurrection Sunday, end-of-the-year reports and Annual Meeting…whew…makes me tired just thinking about all that is on the calendar.  But I must be focused on Colossians 3:23-24 and intentionally be focused on the Lord and not "stuff."  I must not allow the schedule to steal my joy or take my excitement for the Lord away.  If I do, all is for naught.  
When people see me, I want them to see Jesus.  When words flow from my mouth, I want them to be His Words.  As I go throughout my days, the desire of my heart is to be fulfilling the desire of His heart.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders of yesterday.  Thank You for having me "read" something that wasn't there.  Thank You for being the One I want to share with others.  Thank You for giving me opportunities to be You to others.  Thank You for guiding my steps and my words.  Father, You are so awesome.  Lord, I pray for more focus with You.  I pray You will guide my steps and my words.  I pray as I go throughout these next few weeks that You will shine through me.  Thank You Jesus for being My Excitement!  Amen.

No comments: