Saturday, July 21, 2018

Zephaniah - "This Is Amazing Grace"

This morning the Lord took me to the book of Zephaniah. He also gave me the number five. There are only three chapters in this book so I took a look at the fifth verse of each chapter. As I read through the book, I was encouraged by the message of God's restoration and hope. Zephaniah is about what will happen when people do not follow God and the restoration of such people. It is about what is going to happen when He returns for His people. He is not playing games but is very serious about the importance of all being His followers. We do not know when He will return but we can be assured He will. If we want to live for eternity with Him, we must be ready at all times. I once again went back to the number five. The fifth verse of each of the three chapters did not stand out to me in any great way. In all three chapters, verse five is about His judgement on the people. I looked up what the number five represents in the Bible and found that it symbolizes "God's grace, goodness and favor" that He shows to all people.  Doc preached about grace last Sunday. When he asked me what grace means to me, I responded with 'something I receive that I don't deserve.' God loves us all enough that He gave His only Son to die on the cross for us. The grace He shows to us is amazing! It is wonderful! It is beyond comprehension! I love the words to "This Is Amazing Grace"...

This is amazing grace
This is unfailing love
That You would take my place
That You would bear my cross
You laid down Your life
That I would be set free
Oh, Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me

Wow, God! He loves us so greatly. I am sure His heart breaks for those who do not live in His love. I also am sure every time a person comes into relationship with Him He is doing a happy dance! Every time one of His followers falls and comes back to be restored, is a great moment for Him. Yesterday as I was talking with a friend I was telling her how it recently hit me just how great of a responsibility all believers have to share His love. We need to not just share it with those who don't know Him but we also need to share it with those who do. We never know what people are going through. They may need to feel His love in a different, new way. Perhaps they are feeling like He has forgotten them because their prayers are not being answered. Or perhaps they are starting to believe the lies of the enemy and feel worthless. Everybody goes through periods of doubt in life. There are times in everyone's lives where we feel like giving up. We must remember God is a God of love and hope. He is a God who never gives up on us. The last part of the book of Zephaniah is about His faithfulness. We are told to "rejoice with all your heart" (vs. 14) and "Do not fear" (vs. 16). Verse seventeen is the 'icing on the cake' for those who are restored in relationship with Him. 


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace. Father, I am so grateful for the way You restored our relationship. I am grateful that I am where I am today to know when I ask You to cleanse me and fill me, that is exactly what You will do. I also am grateful for the knowledge that You will return for Your people. Lord, help me to do better at sharing Your love with others. Enable me to be bolder with Your love. The desire of my heart is to live out Your love in a way that will make You proud of me. Just as my earthly Daddy would get a look of being proud of me on his face, I desire to see that look on Your face. Father, may You be greater than me throughout this day. You know the things I am facing. I pray You will go before me and prepare the way for me to know how to best handle the day. I am so in awe of the way You work in my life. May You continue to encourage me on the road of holy living. Thank You Jesus for being My Hope. Amen.

  

No comments: