Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Galatians 5 - "Resurrection Power"



Last night we talked in Children/Teens about how we have freedom in this country to meet. We discussed how we celebrate the 4th of July because of our country's freedom but we need to celebrate every day because of the freedom we have in Christ. As I looked around the room, my heart was full. Seeing nineteen faces looking back at me and knowing they were my opportunities to be Jesus at that moment overwhelmed me. I was physically tired but God gave me the strength to do what He desired of me. He gave me the wisdom on when to knock the enemy down when he came knocking. He blessed me in abundance with the words of gratitude that came out of some of their mouths as they left. He also blessed me as I watched older ones interacting with younger ones in a different way than I've ever seen. The knowledge that He has me right where He desires me to be was once again sealed in my heart. Yesterday afternoon hearing, "I so enjoy being with you" from an older lady and then "Thank you Sheila for caring for me" from another one also sealed that knowledge. Things may not always go as I plan but praise the Lord they always go as He plans. He knows what is best and brings that into my life. It is only through the freedom of living a life for Him that I experience what I do. Paul writes in the first part of Galatians 5 about freedom in Christ. He speaks of a separation between us and Christ when we live life as we desire. We must keep our eyes on Christ. We must stay focused. Matthew Henry writes, "All true Christians, being taught by the Holy Spirit, wait for eternal life, the reward of righteousness, and the object of their hope, as the gift of God by faith in Christ; and not for the sake of their own works." As we live out a life of freedom in Christ we will know where we will spend eternity. We do not have to live in slavery to sin. Bondage is the worst place to be. When we live a life for Christ, there is freedom that is not found in living any other way. Paul continues in this chapter about how we are to walk by the Spirit. In doing so, we are to not think of ourselves first but instead love others. As we live such a life the fruit of the Spirit will flow in and through us. I love how Galatians 5:22-23 reads in The Message. These words describe the fruit of the Spirit in a wonderful way. When a person exhibits these fruit, they truly are living a Christ-like life. Jesus was the example while on this earth of what it means to live in the Spirit. We need to follow His example. He never manipulated situations to get His own way. We should never either. He listened to His Father and obeyed. We need to do the same. Paul tells us in verses twenty-four and twenty-five, "And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit" (NKJV). He is speaking of dying to self. Getting to the end of yourself and allowing God free reign. That way of living is where the best freedom in found.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for all of the opportunities to be You yesterday. Thank You for the way You showed Yourself to me in so many ways. Thank You for Your Spirit that lives in me. Thank You for the way You empowered me to not become 'unglued' during the situation of my sermon video not working. Thank You for the people who prayed for the situation. Father, I pray You will become greater in me today...cleanse me...fill me. May Your words, actions, and attitude be mine throughout this day. I also pray for Doc for a physical empowerment as he goes to work. May he have your supernatural power to accomplish what he needs to do but most of all I pray for people to see You through him today. I pray for safety for many who will be traveling and celebrating this day. I pray for those who are lonely to have someone check on them. Thank You for being My Freedom! Amen.

No comments: