Monday, December 14, 2020

Psalm 98 - "Oh Holy Night"


The Lord took me to Psalm 98 this morning to remind me once again to be joyful. He knows I need reminded of this during these 'tough' days I am going through. He knows exactly what I need and provides. That in itself is something to be joyful about. Yesterday was full of things to be joyful about...
  • I woke up.
  • I was given the privilege to preach.
  • We had a yummy lunch from the crock pot.
  • New neighbors visited.
  • God helped me through some nasty pain in my arm.
  • I read a book as I rested.
The thing to be most joyful about is found in Psalm 98:2. The Lord has made known His salvation... Joy is realized through the hope and love of Christ. As believers, we face various kinds of adversity but there is a stable source of joy in the good news of a righteousness before God that is given to us rather than generated by our own efforts. People try every day to be joyful but true joy is only found in relationship with Christ. True joy is not attainable without Him. We cannot get through 'tough' days feeling joyful if we are not in relationship with Him. I was reminded yesterday of the Christmas carol “Oh Holy Night”… 

O Holy night! The stars are brightly shining

It is the night of our dear Savior's birth

Long lay the world in sin and error pining

'Til He appears and the soul felt its worth

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn

Fall on your knees; O hear the Angel voices!

O night divine, O night when Christ was born

O night, O Holy night, O night divine!

What a beautiful reminder of the splendor of our Savior’s birth. The world lays in sin and darkness but those who are in relationship with Him have “A thrill of hope…” What does it look like for a weary world to rejoice? It means not focusing on worldly things but on our Savior. It means not getting so caught up in 'junk' of this world but instead allowing Him to be in charge of our words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. Praise His Holy Name!

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You being with so many hurting from deaths of loved ones! I pray for Your peace for: Ben and Colleen's family; Sherry Patterson; my great uncle's family; Darrel Leibolt's family; and all who are grieving. I pray for wisdom for Owen's doctors and deep breathing for Darryle Moody. I praise You for continued healing in Hal Perkins! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You! May You shine brightly through my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude today. Thank You for being My Joy! Amen!

No comments: