Thursday, December 24, 2020

Luke 2:19 - "He Is With Us"

Christmas Eve. This day holds many memories. Some 'good' ones and some 'bad' ones. The best part of the memories is they all include Jesus. He is the Reason we celebrate. This year there are many who don't feel like celebrating. I know of some who didn't decorate as they usually do. Many families will not gather this year due to the COVID virus. Some have it and others are trying to prevent from getting it. I spoke with one friend last night who shared her normal gathering of forty will be four this year. Throughout my lifetime Christmas Eve was my family's gathering at Mom and Dad's house. My Daddy's last Christmas was different. We gathered at the church for dinner and fellowship and went to their house as individual families to see him. I'm so glad we did. I remember one year our celebration was cancelled due to Mom, Dad, Richard, and Sally all having the flu. That was disappointing but Jesus was still with us. After Doc became a lead pastor, we didn't always get to participate with our biological family but God blessed us with our church family. When we moved to Beaufort, the first Christmas was hard for many reasons. I was blessed with Ben doing a video call so everyone could talk to me. I was going through radiation treatments so there was no way to even try to go to Ohio. That was my brother Gene's last Christmas with us. I was so thankful for technology that day! I am thankful for dear friends who had us for Christmas dinner with being so far from our family. Last Christmas Doc and I talked about making the trip to Ohio. Ever since we moved south, we had made the trip in February to celebrate with family. We both knew in our hearts it would be his last Christmas on earth so we decided to celebrate with our family on Christmas. I am so thankful for that decision. I also am grateful for the gifts he bought for Adam, Paul, Ben, and Mr. Beckett the last time he went to Wal-Mart to walk before COVID hit. God is so good! This Christmas Eve is different for many including myself. There will be no family gathering. I no longer have my honey with me to celebrate, open gifts with, read the story of Jesus' birth together, etc. But what I do have is precious memories to reflect back on. I have the knowledge that Doc is celebrating with Jesus Himself. I also have the knowledge God is still in control and I must never forget it. There are so many hurting right now. I pray they will realize God is with them. He is with all of us in the 'good' times and the 'bad' times. He is with us no matter what. In order to experience Him to the fullest, we must accept Him and allow Him to not just be our King of Kings but also be our Lord of Lords. I am reminded of Love and The Outcome's song He Is With Us...

We can trust our God
He knows what He's doing
Though it might hurt now
We won't be ruined
It might seem there's an ocean in between
But He's holding onto you and me
And He's never gonna leave, no
He is with us, He is with us, always, always
He is with us, He is with us, always, always
He is with us, He is with us, always, always
He is with us, He is with us, always
Our God is with us

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for Your love! Thank You for giving me opportunity to love on others with Your love! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me up with more of You. May Your words, actions, attitude, and thoughts flow from me throughout the day ahead. I pray blessings over Adam​ as he celebrates another year of life! Lord, my heart is heavy with so many going through 'tough' days. Oh, Jesus how I pray for You to come back. I know there are still many who need to accept You before that happens but life is overwhelming with so many people hurting. Deaths, illnesses, families in turmoil...my prayer list is pages long. I pray for all who are hurting to turn to You and receive Your peace in a mighty way. I ask for Your comfort to be with them. Lord, may Your peace come down upon all but I pray especially today for: Mary Lilley; Brenda Pittenger; Brad Stacy Family; Valerie Cook; Will and Sandy Perks; Dan and Pam Morris; Ben and  Colleen; Raymond Helmick's Family; Sandi Stroud; those with COVID or have family members with it; and all who have lost a loved one and celebrating Christmas for the first time without them this year. May we all find Your peace. I also pray for families in turmoil for reconciliation and for prodigals to return. I pray for those who are struggling with this season to realize You are the True Reason for the season. Thank You for my conversations with friends yesterday! I am so thankful for today's technology that keeps us connected when we are separated by miles. Thank You for Bible study last night and for the way You are going to bless tonight's Christmas Eve service! Thank You for being My Reason to Celebrate! Amen.


No comments: