Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Psalm 89 - "Who You Are To Me"


This morning the Lord led me to Psalm 89. As I read it in different versions, I was blessed by how the writer praised God through the 'tough' times of life. That is exactly what we all need to do. We need to praise Him. The first four verses read in The Message:

Your love, God, is my song, and I’ll sing it!
    I’m forever telling everyone how faithful you are.
I’ll never quit telling the story of your love—
    how you built the cosmos
    and guaranteed everything in it.
Your love has always been our lives’ foundation,
    your fidelity has been the roof over our world.
You once said, “I joined forces with my chosen leader,
    I pledged my word to my servant, David, saying,
‘Everyone descending from you is guaranteed life;
    I’ll make your rule as solid and lasting as rock.’”

God loves us greatly and is faithful in His love. He loves us through the 'tough' times with exactly what we need. We need to not only praise Him through such times but we also need to make sure we are telling others of His love that is getting us through them. Verses fifteen through eighteen in The Message read:

Blessed are the people who know the passwords of praise,
    who shout on parade in the bright presence of God.
Delighted, they dance all day long; they know
    who you are, what you do—they can’t keep it quiet!
Your vibrant beauty has gotten inside us—
    you’ve been so good to us! We’re walking on air!
All we are and have we owe to God,
    Holy God of Israel, our King!

These verses read in The Passion Translation:

O Lord, how blessed are the people
who experience the shout of worship,
for they walk in the radiance of your presence.
16 We can do nothing but leap for joy all day long,
for we know who you are and what you do,
and you’ve exalted us on high.
17 The glory of your splendor is our strength,
and your marvelous favor makes us even stronger,
lifting us even higher!
18 You are our King, the holiest one of all;
your wrap-around presence is our protection.

This is the result of a life that walks in the Lord even through 'tough' times. There is joy found when we allow Him to flow in and through us. I love the words passwords of praise. The 'secret' to having joy through 'tough' times is found in praising Him through them. Matthew Henry wrote, We think when we are in trouble we get ease by complaining; but we do more, we get joy, by praising. Let our complaints therefore be turned into thanksgiving. Woo hoo! I'm thankful for the time COVID19 gave me with my honey in his last months. I'm thankful there was only a forty-eight hour period of time from the time Doc had the stroke until he took his last breathe on this earth. I'm thankful for the knowledge he has a new body in heaven. I'm thankful God gave me peace with Mordecei's death. I'm thankful for my tribe that continue to love me through the days of adjustment to being alone. I have often heard people say 'I can't complain because it wouldn't do any good' when asked how they are doing. I would much rather hear someone say 'I'm blessed by the best!' as one man used to say when we ministered in downtown Mansfield. We all have the passwords of praise within us. Sometimes it takes digging deeper to find them but we will be blessed when we do. An attitude of praise overcomes so much. It puts our focus on God and others instead of on ourselves. I would not have chosen this season of life but I am thankful God is directing me through it. I have gone deeper in my faith as I allow Him to continue to have total control of every aspect of my life. The more I search His Word, wait on Him, listen to Him, etc. the more I realize His presence. Woo hoo! God never leaves us but He does give us free choice. We must make the right choice in living a life for Him. I know I must continue seeking Him first in all I do. As I do, He will direct every choice I make and be the wrap-around presence that protects us from the enemy and loves on me so wonderfully.

You're amazing, faithful, love's open door
When I'm empty You fill me with hunger for more
Of Your mercy, Your goodness
Lord, You're the air that I breathe
That's who You are to me
Who You are to me

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for loving on me so wonderfully! Thank You for yesterday with being home, cooking, etc. that empowers me to adjust to my new life! Thank You for my friends Rickey and Pam who helped me yesterday with me being so many miles away from my Momma! Thank You for the nine hours of sleep last night! Thank You for the way You are going to bring the sermon together You have laid on my heart to share Sunday! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You be my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts throughout this day in a more intentional way than ever before. Thank You for Doc's handwritten notes I continue to find in His Bibles! What a treasure! Lord, I have some people on my heart his morning that are going through some 'tough' times. I pray they will find the passwords of praise that are deep within them so their focus will be on You and others instead of themselves. Thank You for being My Wrap-Around Presence! Amen.


No comments: