Thursday, October 8, 2020

Psalm 40 - "Graves Into Gardens"


For the last three mornings God woke me at 4:01. Thankfully I was able to go back to sleep but this morning I started thinking about these numbers. I read Isaiah 40:1 and then turned to Psalm 40:1. Since it was for three days I thought maybe He was directing me to read the first three verses of the chapter. I read it in different versions and settled into The Passion Translation. It reads:

I waited and waited and waited some more,
patiently, knowing God would come through for me.
Then, at last, he bent down and listened to my cry.
He stooped down to lift me out of danger
from the desolate pit I was in,
out of the muddy mess I had fallen into.
Now he’s lifted me up into a firm, secure place
and steadied me while I walk along his ascending path.
A new song for a new day rises up in me
every time I think about how he breaks through for me!
Ecstatic praise pours out of my mouth until
everyone hears how God has set me free.
Many will see his miracles;
they’ll stand in awe of God and fall in love with him!

Woo hoo! We need to remember God's timing is perfect for every situation we are in. His timing is what is best for us. We must not manipulate things so life will happen in our time. Instead we must relax in Him and allow His time to be found. God does not ignore our pleas and cries. He hears them but He also knows what is best for us. Grief can be described as a muddy mess as the Psalmist writes. It can be ugly with loneliness. It can cause fear of the unknown of finances. It can cause unease in relationships. But it does not have to stay a muddy mess. There is such comfort in knowing I can praise God today for the 'tough' days Doc and I went through prior to him leaving this earth and the ones since he left. There is comfort in knowing if I get to a point where I feel like I am falling apart I have my tribe who are ready to encourage me. There is comfort in knowing God knows the outcome of my situation and will guide me through it. Plain and simple. There is comfort. Woo hoo! This morning he brought the song "Graves Into Gardens" to me.

You turn mourning to dancing
You give beauty for ashes
You turn shame into glory
You're the only one who can
You turn graves into gardens
You turn bones into armies
You turn seas into highways
You're the only one who can
You turn graves into gardens
You turn bones into armies
You turn seas into highways
You're the only one who can
You're the only one who can
You're the only one who can
Jesus, you're the only one
Come on, give 'em one more shot of praise

Yes! Even in the days where the MS fatigue wants to take over God is there to be praised. Woo hoo! The stress yesterday afternoon of going to the attorney just about wiped me out. Of course, going to Mr. Fran's service in the morning was emotional too. Such days are so hard with the fatigue but God continues to be my Strength. He continues to give me exactly what I need exactly when I need it and for that I am grateful. Verse three of Psalm 40 reminds me...

A new song for a new day rises up in me
every time I think about how he breaks through for me!
Ecstatic praise pours out of my mouth until
everyone hears how God has set me free.
Many will see his miracles;
they’ll stand in awe of God and fall in love with him!

Today is a new day and I will praise Him through it. He is greater than this fatigue. He is greater than grief. He is greater than the unknown of the days ahead. Plain and simple. He is greater. Woo hoo! I love what Matthew Henry writes of this Psalm. "Where God has given stedfast hope, he expects there should be a steady, regular walk and conduct. God filled the psalmist with joy, as well as peace in believing." Yes! Joy and peace are mine!

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for being greater than anything that comes my way! Thank You for being exactly what I need when I need it and sometimes even before I realize the need! Thank You for the laughter You gave with a memory of Doc yesterday! Thank You for the appointment with the attorney going well! Thank You for the way You continue to guide me through every day that brings a new challenge! Thank You for bringing so many to my prayers who are going through 'tough' days! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me with more of You. I don't want to miss anything You have in store for me today. I want to stay focused on You so I can fulfill the desires of Your heart. I pray for those with physical needs: my sisters Mary, Linda, and Sally; Marnie Kate; Debbie; Nichole; Ellen; Chester; Tim; and so many others. I pray for those who are dealing with different emotions as they grieve the death of loved ones. Amanda; Sherry; Mark; Billy; John; and so many others including our family. My heart goes out to Elizabeth with what she is going through. Lord, I pray Your strength and comfort will be realized by all. I pray especially for those with spiritual issues to have someone say or do something that will make a difference in their life. Lord, go before me today and empower me to be a beacon of light for You. I pray a blessing over my appointment this afternoon at the building. May You give me clarity in my thinking. Thank You Jesus for being My New Song Every Day! Amen.



No comments: