Tuesday, October 13, 2020

II Corinthians 4 - "I Know"

Yesterday morning was a tough one with tears flowing frequently. I could not figure out why since it was no particular special day. As I thought about it I wondered if it were because it was a Monday. Doc always said pastors should not make any major decisions on Mondays nor should they take Monday as their day off because they are wiped out from all they put into Sundays. I was thankful the day got better as it went along. I was thankful for hugs and words of encouragement from my friend Cait and hugs from my little friend Miss Everly. I felt like Doc was with me throughout the late afternoon/evening as I went to Lowe's for door hardware and then spent the evening with Mordecei at home. I was thankful for the words to a song Big Daddy Weave sings called I Know that my friend Brandy shared with me.

I don't understand the sorrow
But You're calm within the storm
Sometime this weight is overwhelming
But I don't carry it alone
You're still close when I can't feel You
I don't have to be afraid
And though my eyes have never seen You
I've seen enough to say

I know that You are good
I know that You are kind
I know that You are so much more
Than what I leave behind
I know that I am loved
I know that I am safe
Cause even in the fire to live is Christ, to die is gain
I know that You are good
You are good
I know

This song reminds me that the life I had with Doc will no longer be but I am not alone. God is with me. He understands the hurts of my heart. He knows what I need and provides. Last night as I was talking to Him I stopped to listen to His words of encouragement. I said something along the lines of how Doc suffered of this earth and I am thankful he is no longer suffering but now I am suffering. He reminded me that Doc's pain is gone as he has a new body. "Your suffering is only for a moment. You must remember that." I thought about His words. "Only for a moment." What does that mean? Some days it feels like it will last forever. This morning He took me to II Corinthians 4 and had me settle into verses fifteen through eighteen. It reads it the PHILLIPS translation:

We live a transitory life with our eyes on the life eternal

We wish you could see how all this is working out for your benefit, and how the more grace God gives, the more thanksgiving will redound to his glory. This is the reason why we never collapse. The outward man does indeed suffer wear and tear, but every day the inward man receives fresh strength. These little troubles (which are really so transitory) are winning for us a permanent, glorious and solid reward out of all proportion to our pain. For we are looking all the time not at the visible things but at the invisible. The visible things are transitory: it is the invisible things that are really permanent.

I must stay focused on Him no matter how deep the hurt is in my heart. If I don't, I could miss eternal life with Him. I must allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through me so He will be greater than the hurts of my heart. Earlier in the chapter Paul talks about the message we proclaim through not just our words but also our actions. He went through many trials in life yet continued to live for the Lord proclaiming the Gospel. I need to make sure I do the same. Matthew Henry writes of these verses:

Faith enables to make this right judgment of things. There are unseen things, as well as things that are seen. And there is this vast difference between them; unseen things are eternal, seen things but temporal, or temporary only. Let us then look off from the things which are seen; let us cease to seek for worldly advantages, or to fear present distresses. Let us give diligence to make our future happiness sure.

I like how verses sixteen through eighteen read in The Message:

God's love and grace will see me through these days. The empowerment of the Holy Spirit will give me exactly what I need to not just through them but for Him to be glorified through them. As I allow Him to work in and through me He will be glorified. That is what I desire in life. Today is a new day. He will be my strength even if the tears start flowing. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for Your love and grace! Thank You for giving me exactly what I need sometimes even before I need it! Miss Everly's hugs yesterday morning were received before the tears began. Thank You Jesus! Her little heart seems to be tuned into my needs. Thank You for Cait's hugs and words of encouragement yesterday afternoon when the tears flowed over missing Doc! Thank You for Brandy sharing this song with me last evening! Thank You for the helpful young men at Lowe's when I went in with a list and little knowledge of what I was doing! Thank You for Alex who worked on the 'ugly' doors at the church building! Thank You for all the ways You encourage me through people! Lord, today is a new day and I pray You will cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You shine brightly through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts in a new, different way today. May You be glorified through me. Lord, I pray You will be with my Momma with eye surgery today. Give her Your peace. I also pray for: the Eberle family with this horrific death of their loved one; Tish and her family with the accident with her nephew and brother-in-law; my cousin Becky with her sister Jenny's car accident; Melanie with her pain; and so many others who are hurting. Lord, I pray especially for those with spiritual needs to have someone share You with them who they will be receptive to. I continue to pray for a family who are in dire need of housing. Thank You for being My Goal in Life! Amen.


No comments: