Thursday, July 16, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 29 - "No Impossible With You"


I had the strangest dream last night that I was to play piano for a ladies luncheon. I can't play the piano, even though I would love to. I have taken piano lessons three times in my life to be able to play. The first time I was a senior in high school and became too busy for them. The second time I had a MS flair-up that stopped them. The last time I tried I realized my brain and hands just didn't want to work together. I was disappointed. I envy people like Emily who has pretty much taught herself and now Miss Evelyn who is watching her Momma and learning. When Doc first became a pastor, I was told to not be surprised if I was asked at interviews if I could play piano. It seems a 'good pastor's wife' is gifted in this way. It was just so weird to have this dream because in the dream I thought I would be able to sit down and play so I agreed to it. Of course, I couldn't so instead I went up to a microphone on the stage and apologized. I told the group my story. I shared with them about how God had not blessed me with talent to play the piano but He had blessed me to share His love with them verbally. That is what I did and many questioned me afterward. Weird dream. But then God woke me up with the song No Impossible With You and told me to read Psalm 29.

There's no heart You can't rescue
No war You can't win
No story so over
It can't start again
No pain You won't use
No wall You won't break through
It might be too much for me but
There is no impossible with You

I read Psalm 29 and what different commentators had to say about it. I was trying to put the dream, song, and Scripture together. I know God gives me things to ponder upon. One take on it is it would not be impossible to try again to play the piano if that is the Lord's will on how I am to worship and praise Him. Another take is my voice is how I need to worship and praise Him. This Psalm describes a storm in nature. I have been through many storms in life but the most powerful one was when I walked away from God. Now I am a pastor who seeks to walk in His presence. I seek to share His love with everyone. That shows how nothing we do can makes it impossible to be accepted into His loving arms. No matter what storm we go through, God is always there for us. No matter how many times the 'lightning' strikes, He is always there for us. No matter how high the floods come up, He is our Life Preserver. Plain and simple. He is always for us making what seems impossible to be possible. If someone would have asked me forty years ago if I would preach the Gospel, my answer would have been a laugh. Yet here I am today. Wow, God! I like what Charles Spurgeon wrote about Psalm 29:

The verses march to the tune of thunderbolts. God is everywhere conspicuous, and all the earth is hushed by the majesty of his presence. The word of God in the law and gospel is here also depicted in its majesty of power. True ministers are sons of thunder, and the voice of God in Christ Jesus is full of majesty. Thus we have God's works and God's word joined together: let no man put them asunder by a false idea that theology and science can by any possibility oppose each other. We may, perhaps, by a prophetic glance, behold in this Psalm the dread tempests of the latter days, and the security of the elect people. 

I believe we are living in the latter days. I also believe there are many who still need to find a relationship with Christ. How will that happen if we do not love with His love? How will people come to know Him if we do not share Him? There are so many people in this world who think they are not 'good enough' for Him. No one is 'good enough' but He still loves all of us. Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm:

When we come before him as the Redeemer of sinners, in repentance faith, and love, he will accept our defective services, pardon the sin that cleaves to them, and approve of that measure of holiness which the Holy Spirit enables us to exercise. We have here the nature of religious worship; it is giving to the Lord the glory due to his name. We must be holy in all our religious services, devoted to God, and to his will and glory. There is a beauty in holiness, and that puts beauty upon all acts of worship. 

Psalm 29 is a Psalm of praise. The song God gave me this morning shows there is No Impossible With YouMy dream from last night affirms I am called to speak life into people through Him. It all ties together that God knew He would use me to preach not be the piano player. He knew I would be part of the symphony of life where I made music through my words and not my hands. What a blessing He gave me this morning!

Dear Jesus,
I love how You encourage me through Your Word, music, and sometimes even dreams! Father, thank You for using me in Your symphony! Thank You for giving me Your heart as I love on people! Father, the only way for the day ahead to be what You desire is for You to cleanse me. Take anything not of You out of me so You can flow in and through me in a mighty way. May You ooze out of my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a new, different way. Father, I pray for Doc to feel Your strength physically, mentally, emotionally, and most of all spiritually today. There was a reason You did not have him take chemo yesterday. Whatever that reason, so be it. We desire to walk in Your will and wherever that leads us. Lord, be so real to both of us today. I pray for him as he prepares the sermon You desire of him to present on Sunday. Encourage his heart. Father, I also pray You would give us a time where we could spend time together doing something besides thinking about chemo, cancer, church building, HVAC repair, etc. Thank You for our time of sitting in the car at the waterfront eating breakfast yesterday after chemo was cancelled! We need more of such times. Thank You for all who helped at the church building yesterday! Mr. Pryor and his workers; Bubba and Chris; Bob; and Keith. Thank You for our time of visiting with them along with Beth and Jeff while we were at the building yesterday! You knew we needed encouraged and You provided. Thank You Jesus for being My Life Preserver! Amen.

No comments: