Saturday, July 4, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Matthew 24:7-10; Isaiah 19:2 - "Prize Worth Fighting For"


Yesterday when Doc told the nurse I was a pastor her response was "Oh, she's one of those!" I chuckled and wondered what exactly she meant by that. I am privileged to be a pastor. I am privileged to be a Christian. These last few months have been challenging as my Christian beliefs have been ridiculed. I think the biggest challenge is to have my beliefs ridiculed by people who call themselves Christians. It hurts my heart deeply. It also hurts my heart to hear/read being who profess to be Christians tearing others down. It is confusing how anyone can claim to have God's love yet speak words of evil and hurt to another. There are many Scriptures that point us to end times being like this. In the New Living Testament Jesus said in Matthew 24:10: And many will turn away from Me and betray and hate each other. That is being seen/heard today all over this world. Hate is running prevalent. I hurt and have shed many tears over this. My heart has crumbled many times over the last few months. I just don't get how one day people show God's love to others and then overnight hate fills them. Earlier in Matthew 24 it reads: 

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

We have and continue to see these things happen. In The Passion Translation there is a footnote where the word 'nation' is described as an ethnic group. Isaiah 19:2 is referred to for this verse. It reads in The Passion Translation:

“I will stir up civil strife
    and cause the Egyptians to fight against one another—
    one against the other, neighbor against neighbor,
    city against city, kingdom against kingdom."

That is what we are seeing today. People against one another. People ridiculed for standing up for what they believe. It doesn't matter if you believe people should wear a mask or if you believe they shouldn't wear one with the COVID19 pandemic. Both sides are being ridiculed by the other. It doesn't matter if you believe in 'black lives matter' or if you believe 'blue lives matter.' Both beliefs are being ridiculed. What happened to 'all lives matter'? What happened to loving with God's love? What happened to allowing God to be the Head of our country as it was founded on? What happened to people being nice to one another and respecting them? What happened to the belief one could choose to believe in God or not believe in Him? I don't know where were are headed as a country or world but I do know I'm heartbroken over where we are. As a pastor, as a believer, I cannot give up sharing His love. My skin has got to be thicker as I face more of the ridicule but that's OK because my God is bigger than anything that people can throw my way. My God will empower me as I love with His love. He will give me His words, actions, attitude, and thoughts as I allow Him to be in control of every aspect of my life. I will continue standing on II Timothy 1:7 throughout whatever comes my way. This morning God reminded me He is the Prize Worth Fighting For

When every day is just another struggle
And every choice is an act of war
Gotta pray, gotta press on
To the prize worth fighting for
When it feels like I`ll never make it
When my heart`s crying out for more
Gotta pray, gotta press on
To the prize worth fighting for

This is how I feel most days of late. As I experience these days I find myself leaning more into Him. My strength comes from Him and I know in order for me to receive His strength to the fullest I must stay focused on Him. Many times He has stopped me from speaking or writing something when it was coming from my flesh. I am grateful for that. I also am grateful for the way He has me pray for people. Sometimes praying for people is hard when He gives me specific ways to pray because it breaks my heart. But no matter what I know He is the Prize Worth Fighting For and I will never give up in the fight!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings You provided yesterday and the blessings You will provide today! Thank You for Doc being in the hospital where he is being taken care of exactly how he needs! Thank You for a room being available for him! Father, You know the desire of our hearts is for him to be home but we also realize his medical needs must be addressed before that happens. If he has to stay longer, give us both what we need to do what You have called us to do. I guess I should have paid better attention to the technology aspect of doing Sunday service. I need Your wisdom and guidance. Preaching is so much easier than technology but I know You will get me through it. Father, I pray for all of those in hospitals who not only need a physical touch but need an emotional touch. I pray for people to lean into You so they do not fear being in the hospital during this time with the COVID19. I pray for protection over all workers, patients, and visitors. Lord, I praise You for being greater than anything that comes my way. I pray for more of You and less of me. Cleanse me so You can fill me. May Your words, actions, attitude, and thoughts be mine today. Make my skin thicker so I can stand up against those who tear me down with their words. Thank You Jesus for being the Prize Worth Fighting For! Amen.

No comments: