Saturday, July 18, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Luke 5:1-11 - "Provider"


One of the times during the night we were awake the Lord brought to me the phrase 'fishers of men' and had me think about how we waste time not doing what He has called us to do. He had me think about all of the things that take up our time. How much more could we be doing His will if we didn't have social media, cell phones, games, books, etc.? What would we accomplish if we weren't busy running here and there, shopping, entertainment, etc.? None of these things are 'bad' unless they take the place of what God desires of us. A lot of these things are outlets we can share His love if we use them in that manner. But if we are just wasting time are we doing His will? I 'waste time' reading for pleasure. There is nothing wrong with it except for when it takes time away from Him. I have to be better disciplined in this area of my life. It has become so easy with Doc being in bed so much for me to lay around and read. I know it's ok some of the time but I also know there have been times I missed opportunities God had for me. The time of staying home as much as possible with COVID19 has not helped matters. I no longer am out and about so opportunities He gives come in the form of phone or internet conversations for the most part. I am a people person. I am a hugger. He created me this way. I thrive on people. This time has made me adjust in so many ways. Adjust. Change. Be flexible. These are all ways to describe life. During the night I was thinking about The Chosen. I remember seeing Jesus calling His disciples. Their lives changed in many ways. They were excited and ready to do whatever He called them to do. That is what I desire. I want to be excited and ready to say 'yes' to every opportunity He puts before me. As I read Luke 5 this morning in the New King James Version I found five attributes of a disciple for Christ. I desire to live these out every day.

Verses 1-3 show one who follows Him love to hear His Word taught.
So it was, as the multitude pressed about Him to hear the word of God, that He stood by the Lake of Gennesaret, and saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone from them and were washing their nets. Then He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the multitudes from the boat. 

Verses 4-7 show how a disciple says 'yes' even when it may not make sense.
When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let  down your nets for a catch.” But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.

Verses 8-10a show how a disciple knows their own sin.
When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!” For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. 
Verse 10b shows a disciple is a fisher of men.
And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” 
Verse 11 shows a disciple will give up everyone and everything to follow Christ.
So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him. 

As I walked at the Sea of Galilee and again as I watched The Chosen I was envious of what the disciples experienced with Jesus on this earth. I know God has me where I am at the time He desires me to be living. I also know God will use me in the manner He desires as I allow Him. Woo hoo! I want to take on these five attributes in a more intentional way. I want to have more desire to hear His Word taught; say 'yes' more even when it doesn't make sense; be aware of my own sin and repent of it; be more intentional on being a fisher of men; and follow Christ in the manner He so desires. How can I live like this? As I live out II Timothy 1:7 He will provide opportunities and a right heart in me to fulfill them. He is my Provider. Once again this morning, this song is in my heart...

'Cuz what you give me Lord is more than I desire
You're my Provider
When I lose my way You lead me through the fire
You're my Provider
Even on my darkest day you show me where the light is
You're my Provider
And when my strength is gone I know where to find it
You're my provider
My Provider

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You bring Your Scripture to life! Thank You for our trip to Israel a few years ago that allows me to vividly picture You! Thank You for the way You are going to work in and through me so I can be the disciple You have called me to be! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You! Father, I don't know what will happen in the day ahead but I pray I do not miss any opportunity You put before me. I pray for Doc to have a better day that yesterday. It seems like that has become my daily prayer. It's so hard to see him this way. Lord, may You pour Your supernatural strength into Him today. May You be greater than pancreatic cancer. I pray for all who are dealing with cancer to know You are with them every step of the way. Thank You for friends who encourage us with texts, phone calls, cards, etc. Thank You Jesus for being My Provider! Amen.

No comments: