Saturday, February 9, 2019

James 5:13-16 - "Build My Life"



Over the last couple of days I had two intense prayer requests answered. As I praised God over these answers I wondered how many prayers were answered I didn't know about. Yesterday afternoon the Lord stopped me in the middle of the afternoon to pray for a teen going through tough days. I found out later in the day there was a change in their situation. Another time this week I was prompted to pray again for a man who had previously been diagnosed with the 'flu.' God told me it wasn't just a regular 'bug,' there was more. Later I found out he is going through more than just a normal round of flu. What about all the other prayers I have sent up for people? Have they been answered? Were they answered in the way they wanted? Only God knows and that is OK. I do not have to know the answers. All I have to do is continue to be obedient in praying as God prompts. I remember one time being told there is no reason to pray because God already knows the outcome and we can't change His mind. I pray because it enables me to draw closer to God and it encourages others when they know they are being prayed for. Can we change His mind? I do not know the answer for sure to that question and I'm sure it is a debatable issue. I believe prayers can be changed. The last part of verse sixteen of James 5 reads, The effective prayer of a righteous man accomplishes much. There are two keys words in this little statement. First, 'effective' when it comes to praying means the prayers are answered. Second, 'righteous' means one who is living in God's will. I do not believe God changes His mind with prayers. I believe we are the ones to be changed. We may pray in our flesh at times yet as we live in His presence we will pray in His will. As we do this, all of our prayers will be answered. The answers will be in His will and in His timing. These are not easily accepted by those not living in His will. Some want what they want, not necessarily what is in the will of God. The deeper we go in our spiritual walk, the more we will realize no aspect of life is about us. Everything is about God and what He desires. Oh how I pray for more people to get to the point in their life where things do not have to be about them. I pray for people to be as Doc has been preaching on these last few weeks, 'self-less' instead of 'selfish.' It is not always the easiest way to walk, especially when we have a loved one dealing with disease or dying. Our prayers are for God to heal them but we must realize if they are living for Him He will heal them either on this earth or by taking them to heaven where they will have a brand new body free of disease. If they are not living for Him, it is more important to pray for their souls than their physical bodies. No matter what I believe...
I am changed daily as I live in His presence. I am grateful for the way He changes my thoughts, my actions, my attitude, my words...all of me. The desire of my heart is that all of my prayers be raised up in His will.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You change me! Thank You for the privileges You give me to pray for people! Thank You for putting the desire in my heart to be striving to be Christ-like! Father, I'm not sure what this day holds but I do know You are the One who does. Go before me, cleanse me so You can fill me with more of Your Spirit. May You be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. May You never allow me to miss an opportunity to be You to those You put before me or to pray for someone You give me to pray for. Father, thank You for the answers to prayers whether they are known or not known. Thank You For being My Life Changer. Amen.

No comments: