Tuesday, November 1, 2016

I John 3:4-6 - "Chain Breaker"


A song Zach Williams sings called "Chain Breaker" came to mind as I read I John 3 this morning. In verses four through six there are some truths that are hard to comprehend. It took me many years before I understood them. Jesus died for all of our sins. The children yesterday at Good News Club were taught a simple definition of sin. 'Anything that we think, say or do that goes against the Word of God.' Plain and simple yet these words hold the key to living a life of holiness. When we live in a way that He is in control of our thoughts, our words and our actions, then we are living a life of holiness instead of sin. Jesus' purpose on this earth was to take away our sin....once and forever. He had no sin. When we say we want to Christ-like, that means we desire to not sin. The desire to not sin comes from a total life of devotion to Him. To truly know Him one must be completely and totally devoted to Him. I remember not too many years ago when I thought I was living as He desired. I was His servant. My calendar was full of 'church activities' to the point there was little time for prayer or study other than what I did as a Sunday school teacher. My checkbook showed I was totally devoted to Him but it is so much easier to give money than things such as your family. When I came to the realization the crazy merry-go-round I was on was not what He desired, I made some drastic changes in my life. Those drastic changes went even greater as I went deeper in my walk with Him. It was not just a one-time thing but a continuous process. I like how one commentator describes a person living a holy life...               

He has communion with Christ, in conformity to the divine law, being in some measure practically righteous as he; and he has communion with him in the justified state, being now relatively righteous together with him.

I love to communion with the Lord....24/7...to be in His presence so I can hear His voice and know what He desires of me. Yes! There is no better place to live. Once again, I think of the words to "Chain Breaker" and am thankful for the chains He broke in me!

If you've got pain
He's a pain taker
If you feel lost
He's a way maker
If you need freedom or saving
He's a prison-shaking Savior
If you've got chains
He's a chain breaker


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. Thank You for bringing me to the realization I do not have to sin. Lord if there is anything I have done that did not fit in Your will or not done that You desired of me, I am sorry. I pray You will be so real to me throughout this day. I want to know Your desires for my day. I pray for Your words to be my words, Your actions to be my actions and most of all Your attitude to be my attitude. I pray against crabbiness in my spirit. I pray for peace for tomorrow to overtake my spirit. I also pray for people to know You are my King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Father, thank You once again for being my Chain Breaker. Amen.

No comments: