Saturday, November 30, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Deut 6:4-9; Phil 4:8; Mark 12:28-30 - "El Shaddai"


These words were on my mind throughout the night and again this morning...

El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonai,
Age to age You're still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkahmka na Adonai,
I will praise you 'till I die,
El Shaddai.

Yes! God is worthy of our praise! He loves us so greatly! He takes care of our needs and answers our prayers! He is always with us and goes before us! He protects us even from things we are not aware of! He empowers us to live without fear when we stand upon II Timothy 1:7 and love with His love. Living in His presence gives a person much to praise Him for. The title El Shaddai is translated as being Almighty God. He is Almighty in every aspect. He is the greatest there can be. The title Shaddai (Almighty) is found 41 times in the Old Testament with 29 of those being in the book of Job. That is interesting when I think about the life Job lived with one thing after another hitting him. Throughout Job's life he questioned God as to why things happened as they did. It is ok to question Him but we must be in relationship to where we can hear His response. Job's response of being silent in chapter 40 is what God desires of us. As we are silent, we can hear better. When we hear Him better, we will know what He desires of us. I found it interesting this morning to find out Shaddai is written on the Mezuzah scroll. We have one on our front door but it broke. I was just looking to replace it last night and God brought this to my attention this morning. I love the way He works! 

Hear, O Israel: The LORD (YHWH) our God (Elohim), the LORD (YHWH) is one.
Love the LORD 
(YHWH) your God (Elohim) with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

(Deuteronomy 6:4-9 parenthetical text added)

These words are ones all believers should live by. Yes, they are from the Old Testament but they still apply to today. The Shema (a Hebrew prayer) is the beginning words of Jesus in Mark 12:28-30 when He gave us the greatest commandment. That in itself shows the importance of it. I cross-stitched it and it is hanging by our back door. Our home is full of God's Word. It is important to be reminded of His Word every day. It also is important to know when you walk into the house or as you are leaving God is with you. It is also important to not allow anything that happens in your home to put a barrier between you and God. This morning I am reminded of Philippians 4:8 which I call the 'junk in-junk out' Scripture. It is also known as the 'whatever' verse.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

We've been watching a TV show that has a great story line that keeps you guessing who did it or how. But the Lord has convicted me to quit watching it. His name is not taken in vain in it as in a lot of shows but we fast forward past other scenes. Even though we fast forward past them the pictures are still in our minds. I do not need such things. I am putting 'junk' in that is unnecessary. Therefore, I will stop watching it. I desire to love Him with my whole being. I desire to hear His voice but to do so there cannot be anything between us. I desire to love with His love but if I am not in complete relationship with Him that is not possible.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for opening my eyes to something that was causing a barrier to be between us! Thank You for bringing this song to me this morning that reminded me of the Mezuzah on our front door and the Shema at the back door! Thank You for being the One I desire to live for! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for Doc having more strength yesterday! Thank You for my time with my friend and her friends at the assisted living facility! Father, I pray for: Kim who is having surgery this morning; Shirley, Jim, and Renee who are going through their first holidays without their spouse; Terry with decisions with her mother's care; Little Finn and his family; Will and Sandy as they continue their new adventure; Rhonda; and so many others who are going through 'tough' days. May all draw closer to You! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me! Thank You for showing me the need to stop watching this TV show! Use me to love with Your love! Thank You Jesus for being My El Shaddai! Amen.

No comments: