Friday, November 15, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; I John 3 - "Whom Shall I Fear"


Sometimes I am so blown away by the way God speaks to me. During the night He told me to read 3 John and ponder upon the words You hold the whole world in Your hands...You are faithful which is part of Chris Tomlin's song Whom Shall I Fear when I got up this morning. John wrote this letter to Gaius. His words were rich and encouraging. He told Gaius in verses two through four in The Passion Translation:

Beloved friend, I pray that you are prospering in every way and that you continually enjoy good health, just as your soul is prospering. I was filled with joy and delight when the brothers arrived and informed me of your faithfulness to the truth. They told me how you live continually in the truth of ChristIt is the greatest joy of my life to hear that my children are consistently living their lives in the ways of truth!
These verses are entitled "Love In Action" and touched me greatly. First, John prayed for Gaius to have good physical health just as his spiritual health was. A question that was raised in the footnote was: "If physical health and soul 'prosperity' were not the will of God, why would John pray that for Gaius?" This is a question to ponder upon. I do not believe God wants us to suffer with disease but He can use it to draw us closer in relationship with Him. The second thing John prayed was that he had heard Gaius' testimony. Third, he encouraged Gaius by telling him he was joyful in hearing of his walk. These three things show great faith in Gaius. His faithful love is commended by John in verse five through eight. He continues on directing Gaius to not give into the enemy as some of his counterparts had (vs. 11). This brings me back to the words of Whom Shall I Fear...

And nothing formed against me shall stand
You hold the whole world in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises
You are faithful
You are faithful

I need to be like Gaius and be faithful to what God has called me to do while on this earth. The people Gaius showed his love to saw God's love. As he stood in the truth, people came into that same understanding. Matthew Henry writes: True faith will work by love. That means when I live with the love of Christ oozing out of me, I am living out true faith. That is the desire of my heart. I want people to see/hear Him instead of me. I want people to know He is the Way to live. I also desire God to look at me in the manner John looked at Gaius. I want Him to be filled with joy and delight as He sees me living in the ways of truth! The only way for this to happen is for me to ask for a cleansing every day so He can fill me with more of His Holy Spirit. The only way I can stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in God's strength is through His cleansing. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for bringing me to this letter this morning and for giving me a song that goes with it! You are so awesome in the way You speak to me! Thank You for the encouragement that comes along with this letter and song this morning! I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to overflowing with more of Your Holy Spirit. I pray for people to see/hear You instead of me today. I pray You will look at me today and see a reflection as I strive to be Christ-like. Woo hoo! I am so in awe of You. I am so in love with You. I want others to have the same relationship with You as I do. Father, I pray for Doc to have a 'decent' day in His physical body but most of all I pray You will bless his spiritual body as he brings his sermon together. I pray blessings upon one who is having surgery today. I also pray for someone to open the eyes up of the Momma who had her children taken away yesterday. Lord, there are so many who need to know You. May You use me today to speak truth and be faithful to what You have called me to do. Thank You Jesus for being My Way! Amen.

No comments: