Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Romans 8 - "Drops In The Ocean"


I love the riches found in Romans 8. Paul gives clear understanding about how the Lord loves us without condemning us. He also explains how nothing on this earth can separate us from the love of Christ. We can enjoy God's grace for eternity. I was reading in one of my textbooks yesterday about how today's society looks more for the temporal things rather than the eternal things of life. That is so sad to think about. What possibly could be more important than eternity? How can people get so caught up in 'stuff' on this earth that they forget the prize of living for the Lord forever? Romans 8 is full of promises of freedom...

Verses 1-4 promises freedom from judgment
Verses 5-17 promises freedom from defeat
Verses 18-30 promises freedom from discouragement
Verses 31-39 promises freedom from fear

A key to being able to embrace these promises is that we must live a life for Christ. In Ephesians 1:4-5 we are told that He chose us and He predetermined that we would be like Him. He called us, He justified us and He glorified us in the process. When we surrender to Him and allow Him to be in full control of our life, we will be blessed in abundance with His love, mercy and grace. Yes, we will have His love even without surrendering to Him fully but I don't understand why anyone would not want to live in abundance of His blessings.

As we live on this earth and deal with discouragement we are encouraged by His hope, the Holy Spirit's help and trusting in Him. I think of the Old Testament story of Joseph who was mistreated by his brothers. God never left Him but instead was working everything out for his good. I have faith in God that He is doing the same for me, no matter what happens on this earth. Do I wish life would be different? As a human being, my answer would be 'yes' but in my Spirit it would be 'no' because I want His will. The desire for my heart is to live in a manner that will be pleasing to Him and will glorify Him.

There is a new day ahead. I have a choice to seek His will or I can go back to bed and cover up my head and refuse to deal with the chaos we are going through. I like what Matthew Henry says about this passage: "While God is for us, and we keep in his love, we may with holy boldness defy all the powers of darkness." I refuse to give the enemy credit for all of the 'bad' that happens in this world. But I will give God the glory for the way He is with me to overcome anything that comes my way. I want to be filled with a 'holy boldness'!!!

I think of the song "Drops In The Ocean" this morning....

If you wanna know how far my love can go
Just how deep
Just how wide
If you wanna see how much you mean to me
Look at my hands
Look at my side
If you could count the times I'd say you are forgiven
It's more than the drops in the ocean, ooh ooh
The drops in the ocean, woah
I am for you
I'm not against you


That is a whole lot of love He has for us! Along with His love comes His mercy and grace. It doesn't matter if we've never been in relationship with Him before or if we were and have fallen away. He loves us. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter what kind of chaos we have going on in life. He love us. Plain and simple. I am choosing Him today. I have faith the Holy Spirit will enable me to do what God's will is for me. I am standing on the knowledge that I am a conqueror through His love.


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the promises found in Romans 8. Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace that You bless me with in abundance. Thank You for being my peace in the midst of chaos. Lord, guide me today to walk in Your will. Give me Your wisdom...Your love to share...Your direction to follow. More of You and less of me will be the only way for this to be accomplished. I praise You for who You are in my life and for the ways You bless me. Thank You Jesus for being My Eternity. Amen.

No comments: