Saturday, July 11, 2015

Psalm 80 - "Shine On Us"


This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 80. As I read it, I wondered what I was to gain from it. I read it for the second time and started soaking in the words. I thought about a conversation we had yesterday on the way the world was going further and further away the teaching of the Bible. I wish more people would read and try to grasp what the book of Revelation says about the end times. If they did, maybe they would turn to the Lord instead of the world. Although Revelation tells us there will be some who don't, which is so sad. 

The Psalmist David asked the Lord some key things in Psalm 80.... 
  • He asks Him to hear us (vs 1). 
  • He asks Him for restoration (vs 3, 7, 19). 
  • He asks Him to return (vs 14). 
  • He asks Him to revive (vs 18).
  • He asks Him to save (vs 19).
Matthew Henry writes: The Messiah, the Protector and Saviour of the church, is the Man of God's right hand; he is the Arm of the Lord, for all power is given to him. In him is our strength, by which we are enabled to persevere to the end. The vine, therefore, cannot be ruined, nor can any fruitful branch perish; but the unfruitful will be cut off and cast into the fire. The end of our redemption is, that we should serve Him who hath redeemed us, and not go back to our old sins.

We, as believers, need to live out the Word of God. We need to stand up against sin and be bold in our speech what the Lord gives us to share. That can be easier said than done. But when you think about it the alternative to being cast into hell, that is not one I want to endure. I want to spend eternity with the Lord.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Psalm 80 that reminds me of so many things. First of all, David reminds me to ask things of You. Secondly, I am reminded of the alternative to not living for You. Lord, shine bright in me so others will have the desire to have You in their lives. I pray for more of You and less of me in order for people to see You in me. Lord, speak to me so clearly so that my words will make a difference for You. Lord, I am following David's example in asking You to hear me, to restore me, to return for me, to revive me, and to save me. Father, thank You for being My Light In This Dark World. Amen.


No comments: