Friday, November 24, 2023

John 6:1-14 - "I'll Fly Away"

Last week I was asked what my favorite Thanksgiving food is and my reply was 'leftovers!' Maybe it is because by the time it is time to eat the cook is tired and doesn't really enjoy the meal. Or maybe it is because the cook taste tests throughout the meal preparation so it not hungry when the actual meal time rolls around. No matter what the reason leftovers always taste so good. Thinking about leftovers reminded me of a time when Jesus had a lot of leftovers. The story is found in the sixth chapter of John. It is entitled "Jesus Multiples The Food" in The Passion Translation. That title made me think about so many times when more people came to eat than expected and He provided enough food for all. Many times, just as in this story, there were leftovers. Verses twelve through fourteen read, When everyone was satisfied, Jesus told his disciples, “Now go back and gather up the pieces left over so that nothing will be wasted.”  The disciples filled up twelve baskets of fragments, a basket of leftovers for each discipleAll the people were astounded as they saw with their own eyes the incredible miracle Jesus had performed! They began to say among themselves, “He really is the One—the true prophet  we’ve been expecting!” I love these words in verse twelve. When everyone was satisfied... Jesus is the Only One to truly satisfy us. He knows the desires of our hearts and provides when they are aligned with His will. He sees the hurts of our hearts and comforts us. Yesterday morning Doug said something about how he should have insisted I didn't cook a big Thanksgiving meal but realized I would have insisted in doing so. He said something about knowing I needed to do so. I told him doing a 'normal' thing helps to get through 'tough' times. Those in ministry or the military could fully understand what it's like to be away from 'home' for the holidays. After moving to South Carolina I've tried to do what was 'normal' for holidays as much as possible. Yesterday the group around the table was small but I so enjoyed the cooking and preparation for the day. My favorite memory made was singing "I'll Fly Away" together after the meal. Another great memory was having Rhonda send a message about how good the food was after we dropped off her meal. Talking with Jack and Paula when we dropped off their meals put a smile on my face. As I once again think about 'leftovers' my mind goes beyond food. The conversations we had when we dropped off 'leftovers' were a blessing. My belly was full of food. My emotional tank was full of memories made. My mental tank was exhausted but as John 6:12 reads, I was satisfied. I was disappointed at the end of the day with not taking any pictures but I have the memories in my mind. I was also disappointed I forgot it was the twenty-third of the month which is our anniversary date. Yesterday was seven months since Doug and I got married. These last seven months have held many mountains and valleys. The one thing I continue to be sure of is God brought him into my life. I am thankful for every day we get to do life together and make more memories.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with having Wayne, Betty, Ricklynn, and Zach with us! Thank You for the privilege to take 'leftovers' to Rhonda, Jack and Paula! Thank You these last seven months of marriage for Doug and I! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your satisfaction over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; Darrell; Pam and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Satisfaction! Amen.

No comments: