Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Ruth - "I Will Follow"


I love the story of Ruth. Her love for her mother-in-law is one of great devotion. I was reading a book yesterday from Nancy that shared Ruth's story. Her story is one I never tire reading of nor do I ever change the way I feel about her after reading her story again. Her love for Naomi was one that was many do not experience. After her husband died she had no ties to Naomi yet she not only made sure she made it back to Bethlehem safely but she stayed with her to care for her.  There is much to learn from Ruth. We learn how to truly love others. She never gave up even after all she went through. She was brave as she found ways to make sure Naomi and her had food and shelter. Even though she was not raised to know God once she found Him she leaned into His strength. One of the blessings Ruth received was that of being King David's great grandmother. If Ruth would not have lived as she did, King David would never had been born. Her faith is one I desire to have in my own life. She never quit believing God would take care of her and Naomi. Even though she was new to her faith she still believed. Sometimes those new in their faith falter easily because they do not have much experience in life. But this was not the case with Ruth. It was through her faith God redeemed her and her faith grew stronger. Her life shined brightly by her love for Naomi. Ruth ended up marrying Boaz who loved her greatly. Her story is a modern-day 'Cinderella' type of story. All believers can have such a 'happily ever after' story as we live with joy and hope with eternity with Jesus as our focus. Matthew Henry wrote of the first chapter of the book of Ruth:

Thus, many have a value and affection for Christ, yet come short of salvation by him, because they will not forsake other things for him. They love him, yet leave him, because they do not love him enough, but love other things better. Ruth is an example of the grace of God, inclining the soul to choose the better part. Naomi could desire no more than the solemn declaration Ruth made. See the power of resolution; it silences temptation. Those that go in religious ways without a stedfast mind, stand like a door half open, which invites a thief; but resolution shuts and bolts the door, resists the devil and forces him to flee.

We must stay close to God no matter what happens in life. We cannot allow the enemy an open door. If we do, he will play havoc in our life. I am reminded this morning of a song Chris Tomlin sings called "I Will Follow"....
Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the opportunities You provided yesterday for me to love with Your love and for the ones ahead today! Thank You for being my wisdom on some decisions I made yesterday! Thank You for going before me with a decision ahead! Father, You are so good to point me in the direction I need to go. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing so I can continue to be who You desire me to be. I pray today as Lisa's grand babies and Baby Henry are home their parents will seek Your wisdom with their care. Thank You for Tracy getting the Homebound tote from the library for my Momma yesterday! Thank You for the way You blessed me as I prayed in the car with bringing Chrissy's Momma to my prayers and then me passing her on the road! Wow, God! I love how You work! I pray You will find the missing package that shows was delivered yesterday. Thank You for the time I had last night with Tony, Gary, and Brent on the zoom call! I pray for great things to happen in the life of our churches through this project. Thank You for working in the lives of so many who are struggling! My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cade and Lauren; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Little Jensen who needs a heart; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; the Pottenger Family; Serena and her husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn with her broken arm; Kristen Batten; Preacher Bill Watts; those with COVID either themselves or in their family; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; George and Sharon; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Elaine Stoltzfus; Patti Perkins; Tammie; Little Ivy and Dorothy's grandson with leukemia; Betty's friend in New York' and my friend diagnosed with mesothelioma. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Long Family, and Dave and Carol Goodwin. Thank You Lord for being with Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself in these days without my Rickey with us. Yesterday as I pulled into Hobby Lobby and saw a couple walking in holding hands I prayed God was in their relationship. I was so blessed to have both Doc and my Rickey to enjoy going shopping with me. Instead of tears falling the prayers were raised for couples. Last night on the zoom call we were encouraged to show our appreciation to people. I thought about how we never know when people will be gone from this earth and we need to show appreciation to them while we have them. I pray I showed both Doc and my Rickey how much I loved and appreciated them. Thank You for being The One I Follow! Amen.

No comments: