Tuesday, February 18, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Eph 4:29; Col 3:17 & 4:2-6; I Thessalonians 5:11 - "Salt and Light"


Three years ago today my brother Gene went home to be with the Lord. I miss him so much. The last few years of his life I didn't get to see him much but we talked on the phone and every time we did see each other I was blessed. He was the best big brother any little girl could ever have. He spoiled me to pieces when I was little. Ice cream cones were his way to keep me quiet after taking me drag racing on Back Massillon Road when he was in high school. He knew the way to my heart was food...LOL. His German chocolate cakes were to die for! He sent me a beautiful cuckoo clock from Germany when he was in the Army which made me feel special. I was so blessed when he gave his heart back to the Lord in his later years. That was an answer to many prayers. Today is also a special day to remember another one who has left this earth, Merriel. Today would have been her 91st birthday. Her and Bob were always there throughout my life to celebrate and to mourn. When my sister was murdered, they were the ones to drive my Daddy to West Virginia to the funeral. On my sixteenth birthday, they sent me flowers. Oh how I miss them being in my life. Even after moving south she still sent me cards of encouragement. We may not understand just how much of an impact we have on people's lives. We need to make sure we take every opportunity God gives us to love with His love. Sometimes it's what we think as something so minor that can make the difference in a person's day. Sometimes it's a card put into the mail, a text, a phone call, or a hug that will make someone feel special. The world puts people down but God's love through us builds them up. It is so important to watch our words. Sometimes things said in jest are hurtful. There are times with friends become comfortable and say things without thinking twice. But we must remember those around us that might not know us as well are listening. I think of many times Paul wrote about how we are to speak. When he was speaking about the Lord's return he gave instruction to encourage each other and build each other up. In Ephesians 4:29 in the NLT he told us: Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. In other words, we are to speak words of life not death. We may not realize how hurtful our words can be but when we live in God's presence He will give us the right words to speak life. Paul's final words in Colossians are ones we all need to live by.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Yes! We need to live a life full of prayer. This communication with God is what will keep us in tune to the desires of His heart. We need to live a life with His love oozing out of us so people will desire to be in relationship with Him. As we keep our focus on Him, He will give us opportunity to share Him with others. Verse six is key on the way to have His words be our words. What does salt do for food? It enhances it. It brings out the flavor. What does it mean to have our words be seasoned with salt? It means we are to allow Him to give us the right words to speak. Our words will be filled with His love when our life is seasoned with Him. Our words need to be filled with His love and forgiveness. They need to not be judgmental but instead be loving. The words that flow from us need to be kind and gentle. The only way for our words to be like this is for us to be seeking a sanctified life where He is in control. The words that flow from us will be His words as we die to self and ask the Holy Spirit to fill us. As we live this type of life, we will live out Paul's words in Colossians 3:17. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks through Him to God the Father (NLT). Woo hoo! He empowers us to do and say what He desires! We don't have to worry about our words or actions being 'right' when we live in His presence with Him being in control of our lives. The result to such a life will be having people come into relationship with Him. That is what all believers should be working toward. Paul tells us in I Thessalonians 5:11 in The Message, So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it. I love the part...no one left out, no one left behind. Woo hoo! 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the opportunities to speak life! Thank You for loving me so much that You encourage me to love with Your love! Cleanse me today Father so You can fill me up to overflowing with more of You. I pray for Your focus so I do not miss any opportunity You put before me. I pray for Your words, actions, attitude, and thoughts throughout this day. May I be more intentional in loving with Your love. Father, today will be a day full of memories for many who think of their loved ones who have passed on from this earth. I pray for my Momma and Steve as they think of Gene's death three years ago today and Delores, Billie and their families as they think of celebrations in the past of Merriel's birthday. May You be near to them in a special way today. I also pray for Jim as he continues the packing for his move. May You be near to him as he continues to grieve the loss of Sandy. Thank You for my Momma getting good test results yesterday. I continue to pray for tomorrow's meeting regarding possible surgery for Doc. May You be his strength as we have children and teen activities tonight and then chemo tomorrow. I pray for Grace who is in the hospital for gall bladder and John who continues to battle his physical issues. Lord, be with each one of them and their families during these 'tough' days. I pray for You to go before me today and empower me to be a beacon of light for You. Lord, may I live out II Timothy 1:7 in a new, different way today! Thank You Jesus for being My Seasoner! Amen.

No comments: