Saturday, October 5, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 18; Matthew 25:1-13 - "Give Me Oil in My Lamp"


I woke up during the night with the words to a children's song going through my head. As I thought about the words, I thought how appropriate it was for the way I am feeling these days.

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning
Keep me burning till the break of day

We had some funny verses that went...

Give me gas in my Ford, keep me workin' for the Lord...

Give me umption in my gumption, keep me functioning, functioning, functioning...

Oh my! God sure has a sense of humor but He also was trying to get a point across to me this morning. Just as David wrote in Psalm 18 of being delivered from his enemies, God will deliver me from my enemies. How? 

By me praising Him through the fight. 
By me standing firm in my faith through the battles. 
By keeping my lamp full of His oil.

I think of the parable of the ten virgins in Matthew 25 this morning. Five of them went prepared with lamp oil to meet the bridegroom. The other five did not. When we dig into this parable the oil represents salvation. Five were ready to meet their Bridegroom because they were saved. I think about this parable with the understanding I am saved. Does that make me ready to meet Him? Not necessarily. It takes more than salvation. I have to live for Him daily. I have to be in His Word seeking more of Him. It goes beyond salvation to the step of surrendering my whole life to Him. I must live in His will so I cannot only hear His voice but walk in obedience to it. As I live in this manner, I will be filled with the Holy Spirit who will empower me to love with God's love. I do not want to hear His words as the five virgins who weren't ready heard. They are found in Matthew 25:12. Truly I tell you, I don't know you. Ouch! He didn't know them. We, as believers, need to proclaim His love to all we meet so people will know Him. We can't wait or put it off. Why? Verse thirteen tells us, ...you do not know the day of the hour when He will return. Once again, I think about this song and the importance of keeping oil in my lamp. I need to be prepared at all time to love with His love. That is the only way to keep oil in my lamp. To do this I must live in His presence no matter what comes my way. I must live II Timothy 1:7 out to the fullest.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the ways You encouraged me through a tough day yesterday! Thank You for the card from Ofie and Lisa! Thank You for messages sent from friends! Thank You for the time Doc and I had just being together as he struggled from the effects of the chemo! Father, I pray for healing in his body. I pray today will be better for him physically and emotionally. Lord, please take away this cancer and heal Him. I pray the same for so many others. I pray for Mike and his family during these tough days to have Your peace; Lynn as she makes decisions regarding surgery; and Rita as she awaits her biopsy. Give wisdom to not only those dealing with cancer but also to doctors involved. Lord, this journey is no fun. It is very challenging. The only way I know I will get through it is for You to cleanse me daily so You can fill me with more of You. May You be greater than me. I pray for You to take over my emotions today so the tears don't come so easily. Lord, be my strength. Thank You for being the Umption in My Gumption! Amen.

No comments: