Tuesday, October 22, 2019

II Timothy 1:7 - "Praise You In This Storm"


Since I woke up I've been praying for my friend Debbie who is having surgery this morning. This will be her third major surgery over the last few months. Those prayers made me think about many people who are going through difficult days physically. One lady whose family will be saying their 'goodbyes' today as she is taken off of life support; a family member who will be moved to a step-down unit today struggling with an unknown illness; Doc as he faces chemo tomorrow along with others dealing with cancer; the list goes on and on. I am thankful we won't have these bodies forever. My body decided it needed rest yesterday after the weekend we had. Even after a nap and resting it still was not wanting to go. I do not like to cancel plans due to physical issues but sometimes it just can't be helped. If I don't listen to my body, I know the results will not be pretty. If I do not take care of my physical body, I will be sorry. I was thinking this morning about Psalm 71. David wrote this Psalm to show his belief in God. In the first thirteen verses he prayed that he would always depend upon God and never be ashamed of that. He recognized that even though life is difficult we are never alone. He is there to encourage us through tough times. In the last ten verses of this Psalm David praises God for blessing him every day of his life. There are some people who think it is wrong to ask God to bless them. I do not think it is. I believe God desires to bless us. As He does, we can bless Him. As our bodies on this earth decay, we can trust Him in knowing we will have new bodies when we leave this earth. In The Passion Translation this Psalm is entitled "The Psalm of Old Age." Verses fourteen through twenty-four read:

14 No matter what, I’ll trust in you to help me.
Nothing will stop me from praising you to magnify your glory!
15 I couldn’t begin to count the times you’ve been there for me.
With the skill of a poet I’ll never run out of things to say
of how you faithfully kept me from danger.
16 I will come forth in your mighty strength, O my Lord God.[a]
I’ll tell everyone that you alone are the perfect one.
17 From my childhood you’ve been my teacher,
and I’m still telling everyone of your miracle-wonders!
18 God, now that I’m old and gray, don’t walk away.
Give me grace to demonstrate to the next generation
all your mighty miracles and your excitement,
to show them your magnificent power!
19 For your glorious righteousness reaches up to the high heavens.
No one could ever be compared to you!
Who is your equal, O God of marvels and wonders?
20 Even though you’ve let us sink down with trials and troubles,
I know you will revive us again,
lifting us up from the dust of death.
21 Give us even more greatness than before.
Turn and comfort us once again.
22 My loving God, the harp in my heart will praise you.
Your faithful heart toward us will be the theme of my song.
Melodies and music will rise to you, the Holy One of Israel.
23 I will shout and sing your praises for all you are to me—
Savior, lover of my soul!
24 I’ll never stop telling others how perfect you are
while all those who seek my harm slink away ashamed and defeated!


Every day we have on this earth is a day we need to praise God for all He has done for us and all He will continue to do. It does not matter what our circumstances are, we need to praise Him. Matthew Henry wrote, "The Lord often strengthens His people in their souls, when nature is sinking into decay." When we are going through 'tough' days in our physical body, we can be reassured of God's love and peace in our spiritual body. We can stand upon II Timothy 1:7 knowing He empowers us to get through 'tough' days. Henry continues: 

"Assured of deliverance and victory, let us spend our days, while waiting the approach of death, in praising the Holy One of Israel with all our powers. And while speaking of His righteousness, and singing His praises, we shall rise above fears and infirmities, and have earnests of the joys of heaven. The work of redemption ought, above all God's works, to be spoken of by us in our praises."

Praising God through illnesses is not always easy to do but as we do people will come to know Him. Praising Him gets our minds off of our own problems and allows us to see things through His eyes. He will use our praises in mighty ways such as in miraculous healing in our body and in the bodies of others.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your Word this morning that encourages me to praise You no matter what is happening in my life! Thank You for bringing to my mind the words to Praise You In This Storm! Lord, empower me to do just that throughout this storm with Doc's cancer. Cleanse me this morning so You can fill me with more of You so I can praise You. May people see/hear You instead of me today through my words, actions, and attitude. May I be more intentional in praising You than ever before. I pray for Debbie's surgeon to have wisdom; the family of the one being taken off of life support today to feel Your presence; one who has been given a short time left on this earth by the doctors; Sharon as she continues to battle an unknown illness; Little Charlie as he undergoes testing; and so many others with physical issues. I pray for miraculous healing in bodies. I pray for more praises to be raised up out of people going through difficult days. May You be praised by all. Thank You Jesus for being The One I Praise! Amen.


No comments: